37.5 weeks pregnant and exposed to chicken pox...

My 2 year old son has developed chicken pox. Like I said, I am currently 37.5 weeks and am being induced in 8 days. I have never had chicken pox before so I am pretty sure I am not immune to it and I know that this poses a risk to the baby. What will they do? I know that they can give me a shot to help me develop immunities to the disease. But is it a possibility that they would induce me early to prevent risk of infection to the baby? Not saying that is what I want,just wondering if that is something that they would do. Anyone know or have any advice to give?

Tages_Mom

Asked by Tages_Mom at 9:13 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you've already been exposed, I don't know if a vax will prevent it. It's probably already in your system. I would call an on-call DR to ask about it.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If chicken pox occurs within 6-12 days before delivery, there is a chance that the baby can still get chicken pox. In this case your baby may receive some of your newly made chicken pox antibodies, which will cause the congenital varicella to be mild.If you have had chicken pox before, then there is nothing you need to do to protect your baby during pregnancy. Your body should have antibodies that protect you from contracting chicken pox; therefore, your baby will be protected.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i copied that from americanpregnancy.org.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

• # f you have not had chicken pox before, you may receive the shot of zoster immune globulin (ZIG) if you are pregnant and come in contact with someone who has chicken pox. ZIG must be given with 4 days of first exposure. This is only given if you do not already have the antibodies against chicken pox.
    # You can get a chicken pox vaccine if you do not have the chicken pox antibodies and you are not pregnant. You must wait 3 months before trying to conceive.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

• I've never had chicken pox before which is why I dont think I am immune to it. Thats why I am a little worried
    Tages_Mom

Answer by Tages_Mom at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• And, if your baby was to get chicken pox, there is a good chance they will get it again. If you 're under the age of two I believe you can get it twice. Not sure for everyone, but I know that my sister had it twice because she was less than a year old the first time she got it.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:24 PM on May. 13, 2009