When did you start weaning your baby off the bottle?

My DD is 10 months. I am thinking bout switching to sippy cups (like throw the bottles away) bc she is gettin dependent on the bottle to get to sleep. So should I? And should I sit her in the highchair to give her the sippy before she goes to sleep?

I'm just not sure how to go about this....

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 9:16 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you want to wean her then feed her 30 minutes before bed and don't lay her down with a cup or bottle at all. It will be hard but stick to it and she will stop wanting it. If you switch to the cup then don't start giving her a cup to go to bed with. Our daughter is 8 months and has never gone to bed with a bottle, we feed her then she plays for a little bit then goes to bed. She gets cups all day and a bottle for nap and bed time only but not in her crib.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We switched to a sippy cup at 6 months. We started giving a cup of formula and a few finger foods as a snack about an hour before bed (a little digestion time lol)

Work with her and the cup. As soon as she drinks from the sippy cup, get rid of the bottles. Once she can do it, there's no need for the bottle. I would do it sooner rather than later when it's become a habit.

We did meals and drinks at the table/high chair. Snacks were sitting with us on the floor in the living room or sitting in a chair with us, not at the table unless it was something pretty messy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I got rid of the bottles completely at a year old. I started them on cups when they were about 9 months old. If they wanted something in the middle of the night I would give them water in a sippy.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 9:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We had bottles around till she about 14-15 months old. We would have thrown them away as soon as she turned a year but it took her awhile to get used to holding a sippy cup and drinking out of one even though we started giving her one early on but she didn't get enough liquid out of a sippy cup so I did take away her bottles till I knew she could drink of a sippy no problem and we had no problem bottle breaking her she caught on.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 10:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Look up the Farmers Almanac. Please hear me out! when the moon is in the knees (it goes through the whole body) take the bottle away.The baby will not even ask for the bottle!! It's an age old method that worked for my two daughters and will b used on my son!! I waited till they were 12 months but if the moon is rite go 4 it!! When the farmers wean the calves the moon is in the knees! Wouldn't hurt to try!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 11:08 PM on May. 13, 2009