*Sigh* Prayer Requests

What's a Polytheist to do? Prayer requests, prayer chains, and prayer warriors: it's almost always set up to a single God. If I offer to pray to my Gods for them, with them, it's rebuked. Now if I offer up prayer to their Gods, it's accepted. If I ask for others to pray to my Gods for me, it's rebuked. This prayer request deal doesn't work both ways. Why not? Never mind the fact it's not stated up front to who the prayers are directed too. I'm not going to have a problem if you offer my request to your Gods. But it would be nice to state who you are going to pray to if you don't want me to request that you pray to my Gods. All I wanted was a few prayers said on my behalf to Athena Hygieia and Apollo for a smooth childbirth, as well as strength and clarity while I'm in labor. I'm due in about a month. And yes I am very serious about this.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 9:22 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thanks you all for your well wishes. They have helped.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• sorry, confused. can you reexplain?
    Anonymous

• You bet I offer a prayer up to Athena Hygieia and Apollo for a smooth child birth.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Why? Because she request a prayer to her God and Goddess?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• no that is not why. BTW her entire first few sentences were NOT asking for request.

but I am going to turn the Christian cheek. Drama seems to be what you all like in the area. Good night and God bless.
    Anonymous

• For those who want to know, no that anyone has asked but here is what started this. http://www.cafemom.com/answers/201281/Do_you_have_a_prayer_request http://www.cafemom.com/answers/201931/any_other_prayers

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Well the first Q&A was deleted already. I'm wondering how soon the second Q&A will be following.

But seriously, what is wrong with me asking for prayers to my Gods? I think the original anon is viewing this as a confrontation which it really isn't. I've run into this very problem in other open religious forums but I've never had such an aggressive response. Normally I get told, pray to ours or we don't want it. Which is fine as it's there prerogative. But to ask them to pray to mine, has never been accepted. And I for one would not ask them to pray to my Gods if it was made clear that they wouldn't in the first place. So I'm taking it that there are no secular pray warriors out there?? So why should I even bother to pray to theirs for them when they won't even honour mine?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:48 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have no problem sending a prayer up for a smooth childbirth and a healthy child for you. My prayers are said, however to God the Father in Heaven.
    God Bless you and your precious little one. I pray that this baby will bring you much joy and fulfillment. I pray that you'll be guided in the path you take and the path you choose for your child. I pray that God will bring you peace and comfort during the birth, and I pray that both Mom and Baby will be absolutely healthy and happy for all the days of your lives.
    Much happiness with your new baby. God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with asking, and someone with that attitude is probably not someone you want speaking on your behalf anyway. Their prayers can't be worth much.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:51 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thats true
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:53 PM on May. 13, 2009