(TMI) Is this the start of my daughter's first period?

My daughter had brown discharge in her undies today, would this be considered the start of her first period? It's been 25 years since mine, so my memory of it is a little foggy. :)

metallimommy

Asked by metallimommy at 9:28 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would give her the talk & all the stuff she needs.
    Anonymous

• No not until you actually see the blood, it could just be a dark discharge leading up to it. I would give it a day or so and see if it actually turns into a medium flow or a light flow that is more consistent
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It could be. I started at 11.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 9:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It could be but some girls spot off and on for months. My memory is a little foggy too but with a tween starting puberty I've been doing a lot of reading.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yes....it could be the start....keep an eye on things and see what happens.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:39 AM on May. 14, 2009

• That's how mine started and I didn't know what it was. Then it came the next month, a bit more redder and accompanied by cramps. Prepare her!
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:21 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I got 5 daughters,and ,yes this is how theirs started,get your supplies ready,your chocolate candy bars,I hope you already talked to her.You know the spoting ,may come for a few days,than leave,she may not see a period for a couple of months,I have learned,after the first spotting, keep some mini pads on her,just in case she is school and it comes on.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:39 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You have my sympathy!  My 11 yr old has been having a period for 2 yrs now and the hormones will drive you crazy!  She was so embarrassed at school to be the first girl in class to start and she had a male teacher!  I'm 60 yrs old raising my granddaughter and my memory is Really foggy, but I know I didn't start til I was 14.  Poor girls, boobs and periods at this age.  I went to the library and checked out all the books I could find for her to read...They really have them for age groups so that it is easy for them to understand....Grab the Midol for her and tranquilizers for yourself!(tee hee)

wininnan

Answer by wininnan at 9:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my daughter a few months ago and I thought she was getting ready to start but it hasn't happened again.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• That is exactly how mine started. At first it is dark and gradually it turned more red. Get a date book and start plotting, keep in mind it maybe very irregular in the early days.
    Anonymous