What would you say to this person?

An acquaintance of mine is constantly complaining about her finances. She is always broke, always asking me for my son's old clothes (which I didn't mind before my SIL had a little boy), and now she says she can't afford to pay for health insurance for her children. She and her SO make a LOT of money. A lot more than my husband and I do, that's for sure. She doesn't qualify for any state programs, apparently. The thing that makes me so irritated with the situation is that she took a second mortgage out on her home to get a boob job. If you seriously couldn't afford to buy health insurance for your children, do you really think it's necessary to get breast implants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Um no, my child would come first. Boobs can wait until my child is taken care of. Thats just my opinion, then again I don't need or want bigger ones, I want smaller ones. She should be concerned about her kids not her chest. Tell her to sell her old clothes to get clothes for her kid.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yeah, something doesn't ring true. If you are worried about your child's health care you don't take a second mortgage to get this kind of surgery for yourself. Probably you should say to her that you need to turn the clothes over to your SIL now. She can find inexpensive clothing in a thrift shop.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 PM on May. 13, 2009

• all i can say is good grief
    Azanne

Answer by Azanne at 9:40 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Sheesh!! That's insane.

I mean... I let people know that I love hand me down clothes for my kids, but I absolutely do NOT expect it, after all.... It's MY responsibility to clothe my kids. And the health insurance thing, we can't afford it either, but guess what, we pay the premium we cannot afford EVERY month because our kids mean more to us than being able to pay other bills. They are also on public health assistance because we are in fact quite poor.

Sorry the whole getting a second mortgage for a boob job just irritates me to no end. Live within your Means!!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2009

• banging head into wallThere is nothing you can say to her: she's grown. And I learned years ago that you cannot advise a GROWN person on their: lovelife; children; or, money. Grown folks don't want your opinion, they want you to co-sign their foolishness. And,if you can't co-sign, either speak your piece/peace or give the empathetic: "I'm so sorry to hear that." And, keep it movin'...  Try to reserve your energy and breath for something worthwhile.

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:52 PM on May. 13, 2009