What can I do to help my 5 month old son sleep better and more at night?

Wh
By this age my daughter was only waking up once a night if at all. But my son is 5 months old and still waking up several times a night to eat or sometimes just to play or just to be awake. We go through a routine every night. I start by giving him a warm bath and then I give a bottle and feed him, while rocking him in the rocking chair and he usually falls asleep but he doesn't sleep through the entire night and he wakes up at least 3 or 4 times, but sometimes he is not fully awake he will be just tossing and turning and I have to pat his back for a long time for him to get back into his sleep mode. It seems like I hardly get any sleep. Can someone please give me some helpful advice on what to do? I really need some more sleep. (Plus I think it could be that I have spoiled him cause I hold him and rock him so much and he likes to sleep with me and my husband instead of his own bed)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is a good time to break him of co sleeping. (if you want to get your bed back) do you routine but when you rock him, read him a story. maybe he needs to eat more and get his belly full. a baby with a full tummy sleeps much better. maybe it is time to start feeding him jar foods.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:40 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Im going through the same thing!! DH wakes at every little sound and once I get him to sleep I cant get him in his crib so I have been sleeping in the living room for 3 weeks now. I asked the same questions and the only answer I got was use a schedule, guess what on one isnt doing any good, so if you get an answer pass it on please!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• well, every baby is different. at that age my dd was waking up 2-3 times a night, didn't start sleeping through the night until 6 months. could be teething as well. i agree with the pp, break him of the co-sleeping. but i wouldn't start him on baby food this early. cereal yes, not baby food though. try teething drops, if that doesn't work, then try cereal. if that doesn't work, i'm a firm believer in the CIO method. if you're not, then looks like you're just going to have to deal with it. it's part of being a mom. just because your first child did good doesn't mean your second one will be exactly the same.
    Anonymous

• Is he teething? My younger son cut his first teeth at 2 months. He didn't sleep through the night until he was five. turned out that the poor kid had sleep apnea (and no, he wasn't overweight...his adenoids blocked him from breathing). Sometimes, honey, you just need to let them cry it out and realize they WILL be okay.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 9:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My 5 mth old has slept through the night for 2 months now.The last bottle he gets has rice,or cereal in with the formula. He takes 6 oz and rite b4 his bath he gets a jar of baby food w/ an infafeeder. He sleeps from 9 or 10 pm to 8 or 9 am. I agree to kick the cosleeping habit! A baby will self sooth in a bassinet or crib not that I think u should not consol him a little. A full baby s a better sleeper!!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 10:22 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would try feeding before the bath so that he has time for his belly to digest a bit and then let him relax and wind down for the night. Thats how I do it with my 4 1/2 month old son and he has been sleeping all the way through the night since he was 3 1/2 months. Just a suggestion...but all babies are different. Good luck :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:59 PM on May. 13, 2009