not talking at 2??

my son just turned two and he has said some words in the past, ball, dog etc. but not for a while and he just got a checkup today and his doc wants me to have him checked out to figure out if theres something wrong with him. now she said hes not autistic, he is very responsive, he plays and interacts with people, has all the other skills a kid his age should have, he can use a fork and spoon to eat, kicks a ball around, can swim, stuff like that. i think hes just not ready to talk and is being stubborn because ill tell him to say a word i know he knows and he will smile at me like saying i know u want me to say that so im not going to. but i get worried he might have a problem, plus ive heard boys take longer to talk then girls, someone give me some advice, getting kinda worried here. thanks

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 9:54 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To me it sounds like he is doing fine. By 2 they are supposed to have around 50 words and begining sent. but that is the average. If your doctor wants him checked out it might not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't be really concerned with it. He is saying some words and seems to understand. My son was extremely stubborn too! He was only saying maybe 10-15 words by 2 then around 25 months OMG he was talking up a storm. Now he is almost 29 months repeats everything, knows more words than I can count, and puts 3-4 word sent. together. All kids develop at different rates. My doctor wanted my son evaluated at 15 months and I wanted to wait until he was 2 before making a decision. I think doctors are very quick to recommend evaluations in order to cover their own backs in case their is a real prob. Don't get me wrong, I think that is good, but sometimes it is sooo unecessary. You know your child better than anyone. GL
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Listen my daughter was the same way, now her mouth is like the 7 11. As long as that baby is responsive and doesn't show any serious signs of communicating then don't worry. He knows when he wants to open his mouth. Just read to him, that is a good start. but he will come around.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:22 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My older girl was much the same - knew some words and used them now and again but rarely talked to us. She was very obviously interacting with the family, could understand and follow quite complicated instructions but had absolutely no desire to talk.

Around 2 1/2 - 3 years old she had a literal language explosion. Went from occasionally saying single words to whole paragraphs at a time without stopping. Eventually we figured out that she was (and is) a perfectionist and just not willing to 'demonstrate' any new skill until she is sure she's got it right. She knew at 2 that her speech didn't sound like ours so she wasn't willing to talk. It was the same with lots of other skills she learned along the way like reading - until she could do it RIGHT she wouldn't do it in front of other people AT ALL.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 12:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 years old and he is the same way. He is speaking alot more but I just think that he will speak when he is ready. To me my son acts like an teenager. He has a strong personality. He watches Sesame Street and likes Elmos World. He can all of the words on there before it even happens. He knows the characters etc. I use to be worried too. But, Honestly some Docs are quick to get your child evaluated when their is really nothing wrong. He is still considered a baby at that age. He will start to talk more. What I did was get some sesame street flash cards and went over them with him everyday and it works. Because he is interested in that. I think that your son will come around. Dont worry. Trust your mommy instincts.....
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 1:45 PM on May. 14, 2009