potty mouth

My 2yr old has start'd to say bad words ever since we went to visit some relatives. I've tried the spank on the mouth ,washing mouth w/soap ignoring him telling him it's not nice to say but no luck. I'ts getting embarrasing n annoying . any suggetions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is gonna sound strange but my 2 year old also had a potty mouth and I basically just told her if u want to say bad words fine but only at home with Daddy and I after a few weeks she realized that we didn't care about her potty mouth and she just stopped.
    Rozzy720

Answer by Rozzy720 at 10:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I bet she finds getting hit in the mouth and having soap put in her mouth for words that adults get to use is a bit confusing. If you completely ignore the word for a few days, and you don't use it, she will stop. If she sees it gets a huge reaction from you, she's going to keep going.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You spanked your child in the mouth? I'm sorry I'm just in shock. Let her know they're not acceptable words and in the future keep her from folks that talk nasty in front of her. That's all you can do.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• OMG! You did all of that to a TODDLER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? That poor baby! What you need to know is that giving them a reaction to something you don't like teaches them to repeat the action. If you don't like a word that they heard and repeated, ignore it. Don't gasp, yell, lecture, ignore it. They're learning vocabulary and word formation without understanding that there are certain words they shouldn't say. If they hear an adult say it, they repeat it to learn. You give a reaction (negative or positive) and they do it for attention. If you don't give attention, they won't continue. It'll come up on occasion now that you've shown the baby that it's a great way to get mommy's attention, but if you just ignore it, it'll stop happening. My son still says "Stupid head" when he's trying to get my attention some times. I ignore it, don't react, and he moves on to something else.

SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 8:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I kno its bad that i spank'd his mouth but it was one of those things i reacted n didn't think bout . So my best bet is to keep ignoring it . It's just hard to cuz he says it like nothing, to him it's nothing but when he says it infront of other pep i wanna hide under a rock cuz i can't control it n i feel like a bad mom. N bout not keepin him away from certain pep when it the granmom but they live in another country!!! but when we visit again i hope we won't go thru this again n i can't tell them to not speak like that infront of him cuz it's the whole paternal side that speak like that. W my side i don't have a problem telling them what i don't approve of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 14, 2009

• When he says something that is embarrassing, just smile and say something like, "they pick up EVERYTHING, don't they?" Children are embarrassing so often but you can't punish them for being embarrassing, they don't know. They won't understand if you try to tell them (at this young of an age) they're just learning. I spoke to my husband about this last night because an IRL friend of ours said she'd put soap in her son's mouth (who's not even 2 yet) and I was appalled. He said that the one time he had soap put in his mouth he remembers that he had no clue WHY he was being punished. He knew he was uncomfortable and people were angry but didn't know why. If that's a memory that he was old enough to retain, I think it's safe to say a 2 year old won't understand it, either.

SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 8:40 AM on May. 15, 2009