Why are leather clothes acceptable but fur coats are not?

I've seen a handful of people say that they wear leather but stand firm against the use of fur. That seems to be pretty common in our society, and it has always baffled me. So what makes wearing the skin of one animal ok but not of another?

jellyphish

Asked by jellyphish at 9:58 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Because its pleather...and they know it too....
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I guess we can justify wearing leather since most leather jackets and shoes are cowhide, and we eat cows. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in a cow-fur coat. (The mental picture is funny though, a big spotted cow coat...)
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• 'cuz we eat cows, mine VegHead!

It's the whole using-every-part-of-the-buffalo philosophy.

I wear leather 'cuz I eat beef.

I wear buckskin 'cuz I eat venison.

I will wear rabbit fur 'cuz they make a tasty stew. 

(Hubby bow-hunts)

Make sence, Sugar?

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:02 AM on May. 14, 2009

• The way I think of it, JP, is this:
    Cows are constantly killed for food en masse, so leather is using more of the animal that is already dying (if it's cow-leather, obviously) and therefore, not going to waste... as little consolation as that is.
    Animals like foxes, minks, etc. are NOT used for food - their death is SOLELY for their fur, and their insides just go to waste.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:53 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Have you ever asked one of them? I don't eat meat, but I could not survive winter in Chicago without my vintage mink coat.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Almost every part of a cow is used before we get to the whole deal with the leather. People are never going to stop eating beef, so we may as well use as much as we can. The animal is also completely out of it's misery before they get anywhere near 'skinning' it. Fur? It's unnecessary. Do you eat mink? Do you eat chinchilla? How about fox? Do you have any idea how many small animals it takes to make a fur coat? Do you have any idea how many small animals are NOT deal when they start skinning them?

I don't really approve of any of it, but I just can't afford a totally vegetarian or vegan lifestyle right now. But I'm not going to be disgusted if I see someone wearing cow leather, even though it is sad. If someone gives me something leather, I won't say no. My little animal friendly butt is broke! But fur? No thanks.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I guess you can tell I'm a vegetarian by my screen name right? I boycott all items that come from an animal - leather, suede, fur, silk, down and anything else. I have been doing this since 1994. Leather IS NOT a by-product, there is a DEMAND for leather. People buy it, so companies provide for the demand. I think it's very sad. There are plenty of humane materials such as man-made materials, pvc, pleather, micro-suede, rubber, etc. to choose from. Also, I have seen video and heard that many animals (& not just cows) are still conscious when dismembered. When I buy shoes, etc., I read the labels to know exactly what it's made of. I look for man-made materials, pvc, polyvinyl, etc. If it doesn't have a label or engraving, I usually will not buy it. Getting used to reading labels is a must for those who really care about what they're buying. More info on helping animals @ my site: www.KindnessNotCruelty.org
    proud2bveggy

Answer by proud2bveggy at 10:57 AM on May. 30, 2009