Really really bad mothering.

so i was at work today and a lady pulled up to the drivethru and i couldnt believe what i saw! she had her , maybe 1 year old daughter IN the FRONT seat with NNNNOOOO car seat and Not even wearing a seat belt (not that the seat belt would do anything for an infant)! why would a mom do that?!?!

alyssa2683

Asked by alyssa2683 at 10:01 PM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont know
    Anonymous

• There are so many reasons why a mother would do that, but the bottom line is she was wrong. I saw a woman with a rear facing carseat in the front with her and she was smoking and the damn carseat wasn't strapped down. I made sure she saw me mugging her ass and shaking my head. I put the cellphone to my ear to act like I was going to report her ass. That shit had me pissed.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Because some parents are idiots.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Because they don't know how dangerous it is. Most parents won't put their kids in danger willingly, but they will do it without knowing it.

Why do parents turn their babies forward facing too early? Why do parents put their toddlers into booster seats? Because they don't realize that by doing so, they are risking their children's lives.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Did you get the make & model of the car along with the license plate number and then call the police? They will pull over a parent or other adult endangering the welfare of a minor; at least they will in this state.
    Anonymous

• I hate to sound like a nosy ass, but I get the tag number and call it in if I get a chance. I know it isn't technically any of my business, but visions of car accidents involving babies turn my stomach. I can't imagine being that irresponsible with my childrens' safety.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:20 PM on May. 13, 2009

• That is just negligence and she should be locked up. It is SO dangerous. Even a fender bender could launch the child through the window. Imagine how you'd feel if you did something so stupid. I'm pretty rigid on that stuff including NOT leaving my kids in the car alone, EVER.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree. Some parents are just plain lazy idiots. How hard is it to install and use a car seat correctly? You can even contact a car seat tech to install it for you! Of course, that implies she even gives a rat's patooty. I just don't understand it. I can't even stand it when the straps are twisted! I am certainly very rigid on that. Sometimes my 3 year old dd will say she doesn't want to get buckled. I just tell her well, we are going to have to stay here. That always works since she does it when we are out at the store, etc. I could never just leave without her buckled in. I could never live with myself if something happened.
    Momtogirls0823

Answer by Momtogirls0823 at 2:44 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I see that kind of stuff all the time. The other day I was picking the kids up from school and the preschoolers (3-4 year olds) get out 10 minutes before the older kids. I watched a dad pick up his 3yo, put her in the front seat and buckle her up with the seat belt then stick the shoulder strap behind her. She was a tiny 3yo, too. Even though the law says children under 4 have to be in a carseat and kids have to be in a booster until 8 or 80lbs hardly anyone puts their kids in carseats past the age of 4.
    I've seen 2yos in the front seat or jumping around the back seat. My dd's friend in 3rd grade rides home on the back of a motorcycle (which I don't really have a problem with) but doesn't wear a helmet. There are no helmet laws here.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I am the crazy lady who stops cars with unbuckled children and calls 911.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on May. 14, 2009