How to I treat a mild case of baby eczema?

Is it something I need to go to the pediatrician for, or is there something I can do at home to treat it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is the baby? for bath time, use aveeno baby wash, wash their hair first then the body that way whatever you rinse out of the hair gets washed off. you can use eucerin lotion and that should help. but you should also see the pediatrician and get a referral to a derm. that way you can be sure it is eczema and possibly get prescription lotion and washes for when there is a break out
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I use the Burts Bee's baby lotion on ds. He's four and has had eczema since he was two. We've tried the cortizone creams from the dr. but he has patches everywhere and it says you can't use it on large areas. We have tried every lotion under the sun and the Burts Bee's keeps him from itching and lets the areas heal.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Try Aquaphor
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Do you know what causes it? For my daughter it was an allergic reaction to the name brand household and laundry cleaners I was using. When I switched to the Shaklee "Get Clean" line of green non-toxic cleaners her skin issues cleared up. I love the products! They are powerful, safe for my family and safe for the environment.

Hope you find what works for you and your family!
    Megan

MeganKay1977

Answer by MeganKay1977 at 10:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We use aveeno lotion and vasoline (petroleum jelly). It all depends on where the break out is. We use the vasaline on her face in the are of drool b/c it won't wash of easy. You might want to try and figure out what is causing it and try to eliminate it from you routine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My daughter breaks out when she is teething and I just use the Gentle Naturals Disney baby eczema cream-- comes in a tube from wal-mart for like $7 works like a charm! Just have ur Dr. look at it for sure at ur next appt.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Aveeno is great, my doctor also recommended dove beauty bar which worked wonders. When she had a bad out break with red bumps all over her face head and neck from her eczema she had us use Selsun Blue on her2x/week for two weeks it was the only thing that would help. Luke warm baths everyday but no longer than 15 minutes help wash alot of irritants away.
    LadyShock

Answer by LadyShock at 12:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My DD had slight eczema until we moved here to a more humid climate. Try using a humidifier in their room, I always use Aveeno baby wash and lotion and only bathe every few days. You don't always need to use soap/baby wash when you bathe either, I usually just use it on her bottom and under her neck, shoulders area so as not to try her out too much.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 5:43 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it's from teething. It's just a mild outbreak on one side of her mouth and a couple small patches under her chin. She's 8 months. I've been using vaseline, so I'll keep using that to see if it works. We are out of laundry detergent too, so I think we'll try a new one. She's allergic to Aveeno products though. =(

Thanks for your help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 14, 2009

• We use Aveeno Soothing Relief (dark blue on the bottles) and it works great for mild eczema. Aquaphor does too, but I find it to be really greasy. My SIL uses Eucerin and says it works good. Her son is 5 months.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:25 AM on May. 14, 2009