How do I wean my 19 month old son, off my breast?

I need help ending breastfeeding my 19 month old son. He breast feeds to much! We co-sleep. I try to offer food and juice during the day to keep him off the breast, but he'll get so mad if I don't give it to him when he wants it. At night he'll go to bed then at around 3:30 am he wants to nurse, but then he'll keep waking to nurse every hour or so until we get up. I would love any good advice!

mamaof3gr8kids

Asked by mamaof3gr8kids at 11:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start cutting out one feeding a day (which it sounds like you are already doing) and cut out additional feedings each week. The nighttime will probalby be your last ones. If you want to continue co-sleeping, just don't offer the breast when he wakes up but do whatever else you normally do, snuggle, sing, rub his back, etc. It might take a few nights, but he will learn to go back to sleep without the breast. Make sure your DH is on the plan, so he doesn't get upset when your son wakes up at night. You might need to wear more bulky shirts to bed too, so that it is less of a temptation when he does wake up.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Go on vacation for a few days and leave him home with Daddy!
    TwinmomPlus

Answer by TwinmomPlus at 1:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with Sapient, that you are on the right track but he shouldn't still be waking in the middle of the night for a feeding at all. The next hard thing will be potty training if you don't stop the nightly snacks.
    prissymommy

Answer by prissymommy at 2:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• just do it cold turkey.
    Ivayla

Answer by Ivayla at 6:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008