18 month old - can't tell if he's sick or just cranky

last two nights when i come home from work, he's felt slightly warmer than usual. last night he had a temp of 99.5 before bed, then during the night i kept feeling his forehead and he felt ok. then today, my husband watched him and said that he was very clingy all day and didnt even enjoy the park. eating normal, sleeping normal, but felt slightly warm again. when i got home at night; again, no real fever. could it be that he's just having a bad few days? or its due to weather changes, allergies? just always nervous and anxious when my baby is not himself. maybe i'm paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd say w/o the slight fever he just is going through a rough couple of days, but since he has a fever and isn't enjoying things he normally would it sounds like he may be sick. but really what do you and your husband think? you guys are around him the most and would be able to tell better than anyone else would wether he's sick or not. if you think he is than go with your gut, keep an eye on him if he seems to get worse call the doc, if not let it ride itself out, may just be a stomach bug
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:57 PM on May. 13, 2009

• sounds like he could be teething. I know how you feel about being worried and paranoid. I find myself calling doc. a lot. If it were allergies, I would think he would have watery eyes, cough, scratchy throat, or stuffy nose. Try using orajel and frozen wash cloths. give him some tylenol for the pain. good luck hope he feels better soon.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:57 PM on May. 13, 2009

• He's just not feeling to well. Might be related to teething. My son is always clingy when he isn't feeling well, otherwise he's all over the place. When my son is teething bad a give him a dose of tylenol about 1/2 hr. before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on May. 14, 2009

• 99.5 really isn't a fever in most cases. My doc isn't concerned until it's over 100.4 and still consideres it low grade until 101.4. It could be teething or he oculd be fighting something. Chances are if he is, it's viral and htere's not much you can do. Is he still eating and sleeping well?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• thanks for your responses. he woke up this morning fine - no fever - temp of 98.5. BUT he had a strand of my hair caught in his mouth/throat, gagged a little trying to get it out and threw up some milk. I don't know if that's just coincidence. The highest temp so far has been 99.5, so I guess he's got no real fever. Maybe he IS just fighting something. The throwing up this morning is still weirding me out -- if it wasn't coincidence and my hair in his mouth caused his little vomitting, then he must be developing a stomach virus.
    shinbi

Answer by shinbi at 11:35 AM on May. 14, 2009