Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody questions

I live in FL and the father is in NC. He's not on the birth certificate but i found out that he has laywer. i'm trying to figure out what happens. i know paternity will have to be established. i'm trying to find out about custody and what may happen. please help with some answers. i'm getting a laywer

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 13, 2009 in About CafeMom

Answers (2)
  • What they have to do is prove you unfit at a mother if he wants full custody. Otherwise visitation would be established and you would have to go with that.

    Answer by coala at 10:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A LAWYER!!!! I went through this myself when I lived in NC (I'm from FL too)-make absolutely sure that jurisdiction remains in FLORIDA-do not allow it to be moved to NC this will sap you of all your precious resources and will give him an edge. FIGHT THIS! He won't get full custody but you could be forced to give visitation. Write me, we'll talk. I know that this is an EXTREMELY stressful situation to find yourself in. I made it through, you will too.

    Answer by KGB31 at 11:44 AM on May. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.