Larger baby...larger infant car seat?

Hi there. I have a very big baby boy and he is only 2months old. He weighs around 16 lbs. He has almost grown out of his infant car seat (Graco SnugRide). What is my next step? Any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to go to a convertable car seat yet b/c he can't hold his head up and I'm not laying him in a cart when I go to the store. My husband drives a 2003 Ford Focus, and we are worried that the Graco Snugride 32 will be to big for the back seat of his car...as we have a 3 year old as well. We are both tall...over 6 ft tall...so we are cramped for space...any suggestions are appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was looking at convertible car seats this weekend. There are some that go from infant all the way to boosters. Just do some digging and you will find something. I was looking at babies r us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• How has he almost outgrown his Snugride? If it's not the 32, it's the 22. He's still got 8 pounds. You could always go to a store like Target or Babies R Us and test out a Snugride 32 in your car.
    As far as the shopping cart thing, got a convertible anyway (I recommend the True Fit, or the Boulevard), and then take a Boppy pillow with you to the grocery store to help prop him up and cushion him.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:16 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh, or you could always get a sling or wrap to carry him while you're shopping.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Check out convertible ones there are many out there and I got my daughter's at babyage.com and they were much cheaper than the store, it's for 5 days through the age they no longer have to be in a car seat. It said in the instructions that if they baby can't hold head up yet to tuck some rolled up towels under the part to tip it back a little bit more so it's laid back more! Good luck!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• He should fit his snugride until he is 22 pounds and has at least an inch of hard shell above his head. My son had a snug ride and is also a big boy and he was able to stay in his until 6 months. By then your baby should be able to sit well enough when you go out to stores or to eat you won't need the infant seat.
    I would get a convertible seat... I wouldn't spend the money on another infant seat and then need a convertible too because if he is that big he would likely outgrow the other seat too.
    And a convertible seat will fit in a ford focus without any trouble... we have to focus's and my husband is 6'4" and has the seat all the way back.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:34 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm with the others, I'm curious as to how he's outgrown the seat. With my son we thought he'd outgrown his and he hadn't. We rushed out to get the only convertible we could afford and it was CRAP! I don't recommend that, lol. I didn't like the seat, it was ridiculous. We recently ordered him a True Fit from albeebaby.com and I'm in LOVE with this seat. I'll be getting another one for the coming baby. This seat harnesses to 65lbs (most of the convertibles in stores say they seat to 100lbs but not safely because they stop harnessing at 40, I believe) which means he's safer in an accident. I LOVE it! Plus, they have some really nice colors. : ) While I think you have a bit before your son's outgrown his seat, it's never too early to think about such a large and important purchase as the next car seat.

We used a blanket to prop my son up in shopping carts. I also kept a hand on him just because that's me. : )
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 8:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• We moved my son from a carrier to the conv. car seat when he was 5 months old. He sat up, but was a little unsterdy. I would use my purse to help support him in shopping carts. I think he was around 18-20 lbs. when we switched him. He is currently 25 lbs. @ 11.5 months.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:15 AM on May. 14, 2009