Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get me out!!

The apartment we live in is awful!! The carpets are moldy(I have pictures) and the management knows as I told them.The area is bad, I don't feel I can let my kids out to play.The kids that live here are a couple years older and they are not nice children.We have found another place to live, but our lease isn't up for another couple months.Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get out of it? Also the windows are constantly molded and my son has allgeries.The management knew how bad the carpets were before we moved in and I found out that they knew the previous tenants let their small childern pee on the carpet in my sons room.I am so frustrated.I don't know what to do.My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and he really needs to be able to go outside and play and he can't do that here.I just need some help with ideas that could get me out of here.I can't stand it anymore...Please help mamas!!

Answer Question

Asked by kcrawford01 at 11:03 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Take a book, craft or task that needs doing and spend time outside watching (guarding) your son while he plays. If the kids are mean reprimand them if their parents won't/don't. The mean kids parents may tell them to play inside when 'mean' you is outside!

    Talk to your landlord. Obviously they won't pay to professionally clean the carpet. Maybe they will let you rent a carpet cleaning machine to clean the carpet yourself then deduct the cost from your next rent. Heck he/she might even give you permission to rip it out and toss it. Clean bare floors are a good thing.

    Keeping the windows cracked open for fresh, hopefully dry air may help.

    Definitely go to the library and look up tenants rights in your city/county/state. Type up a formal complaint letter and attach photo copies of the mildew and filth. Mail one to the landlord and one to whatever agencies monitor rental property safety.


    Answer by Shesapeach at 11:42 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • You should look into your local tenant's rights association-- they usually have an explanation of your rights as a tenant under the law in layman's terms. Most states have a provision that if the domicile is unlivable then the landlord is in violation of the lease and you are no longer bound. If the mold you mention is toxic, and they refuse to clean it up, then you may be able to terminate the lease without penalty.

    Of course, a lot depends on whether it's worth the fight. Do you have a substantial deposit? Is it worth it for your to walk away from it? Are you willing to take them to small claims court or be taken to small claims court?

    Good luck!

    Answer by Busimommi at 12:24 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • Have you contacted the landlord regarding terminating your lease early or subletting?
    If you apartment really is moldy, contact the board of health!

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • Contact Health & Human Services, the Fire Marshall and your State's Housing Authority. There are laws that protect tenants from slum lords. Don't be bullied because you have to pay him rent. You have rights. Also, if you're really feeling brave write to the local news station and have them come out and do a story, so they can embarrass him publicly! Then use it to get out of your lease. Or, you could just move out and stiff him the rent-you did give a deposit? That can settle for your last remittance. Threaten him to sue him for damaging your son's health-get a lawyer's business card and use it-you don't really have to have hired him.
    There are ways to make landlords bend-I have had to do this myself. It is scary because you are just a renter and they supposedly have all the power-but no so. trust yourself and fight it!


    Answer by KGB31 at 11:32 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • well, first get some mildew cleaners and scrub up the mildew..

    if it's black.. call in help.. and bill management for it..

    if management refuses to pay it, they are breaking your lease, and since they broke the lease, contact a lawyer, and have them look over the lease, and point out all of the damage that the landlord has refused to make right... they will help you get out of your lease.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:10 PM on May. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden
Austin/San Marcos Texas Area

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Bad Sex