Scared to have a 3rd c-section!

I want to get pregnant again, but I am scared of having a 3rd c-section. I've heard mixed messages and I'm still not ok with the idea. My first child was a great pregnancy, but she had complications at birth. Her heart stopped once and the cord was around her neck twice! So she was an emergency c-section. My son was a planned c-section because my doctor didn't advise me to try a v-bac. I hated being cut open and I have 2 scars already. Can anyone tell me how risky it might be to try it again. I know I will have to have another c-section already.

jen_and_pat

Asked by jen_and_pat at 11:04 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well my mom had 4 c-sections in the 80's so I'm sure you will be ok but ask your doctor
    Anonymous

• you can totally have a vba2c!!

check out the group VBAC Moms, there are many women in there who've been there done that, and they are very supportive and informative!

there's no need (unless medically indicated, of course) to have another c-section!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I read of a women this past week who had 6 c-sections. I am quite sure each persons body is different so I would discuss with your Dr.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:48 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i think once u have a Csection you always have to have one or you will be at risk for intrauterine rupture.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 12:38 AM on May. 14, 2009

• jessaroo, thats not true. (hehe, that rhymed)

i had a c-section with my first, and a vbac with my second.

the risks associated with a vbac are actually much less than those associated with a repeat c-section
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:25 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would start researching your options and weigh the risks of a repeat 3rd c/s vs. a vba2c. You'll find the vba2c is less risky, but we all have to evaluate what risks we're willing to take for ourselves.

Also, ican-online.org is a great site (international cesarean awareness network). They may be able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck mama.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I have a daughter who has had three C-sections and her boys, and she is fine
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 7:15 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My mom had 3 csections ('78, '80, '81) and is fine. The would cut over her previous scar ... how do you have 2 scars?

My OB asked, before my csection, how many kids I was thinking about having. I said no more than 3, and she said that since I was having a csection with my 1st, they don't recommend having more than 3 csections.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I had 2 different doctors with my c-sections. The second doctor for some reason, cut right below the first scar, so that's how I have 2. I think there was too much scar tissue or something, I'm not really sure why.
    jen_and_pat

Answer by jen_and_pat at 12:33 PM on May. 14, 2009