Get me out!!

The apartment we live in is awful!! The carpets are moldy(I have pictures) and the management knows as I told them.The area is bad, I don't feel I can let my kids out to play.The kids that live here are a couple years older and they are not nice children.We have found another place to live, but our lease isn't up for another couple months.Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get out of it? Also the windows are constantly molded and my son has allgeries.The management knew how bad the carpets were before we moved in and I found out that they knew the previous tenants let their small childern pee on the carpet in my sons room.I am so frustrated.I don't know what to do.My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and he really needs to be able to go outside and play and he can't do that here.I just need some help with ideas that could get me out of here.I can't stand it anymore...Please help mamas!!

kcrawford01

Asked by kcrawford01 at 11:21 PM on May. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I saw your post earlier, and thought another mama with legal advice would help you.

Since no one has helped you, all I can suggest is defaulting on your lease. Your landlord will sue you in small claims court most likely, but you will be out of that place ASAP at least.

I'm sorry I don't have any magic for you. Get really really really good pictures of your apartment inside before you leave, WITH a date stamp. You'll need proof you left it in the condition you do...your landlord sounds flaky and may trash the place and say you left it like that, and then try to sue you for renovations!

Good luck, hon.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• call the health inspector you can default on that lease just make sure you take pictures and when and if they do take you to court just show the judge your pictures ... you will not have to pay back rent. if you got a good judge
    zabees_angel

Answer by zabees_angel at 11:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I think zabees_angel had great advice!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:58 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Ask what the "cancel the lease early" fee is. Sometimes it is less than the rent you would owe for the next few months. Or if you can afford both, move now! Maybe ask the new place for a first month free deal or something to make it do-able. I also agree, if it is bad as you say, call code inforcement or health inspector. You can also call a local news reporter. With any publicity, your landlord will want to get you out. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 14, 2009