Im having an epidural, and I wanted to know what labor positions I could use?

also what labor position did u find the best.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think when you have an epidural you have to stay laying in the bed...at least i did
    Anonymous

• if you get an epidural you don't have any choice but to be on your back, which is the WORST position for delivering a baby. it makes your pelvic opening up to 30% smaller.

by not getting an epidural, you can labour/deliver in the water, squat, use a birthing ball or birthing stool, sway your hips (dance), hands and knees, on your knees against the bed, the list goes on and on
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I didnt get to experince vaginal birth but I remember from the classes that once you have an epidural, you usually get a catheter and have to stay in the bed. That is what we were told, but I think there are a couple different types of epidurals. I would talk to your doctor.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I had to stay in bed after the epidural I could of birthed on by back but I was rolled from side to side. I don't think it matters, as long as there is someone there that is willing to help you.
    20hockeymom5

Answer by 20hockeymom5 at 11:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Since you have a catheter running into your spine you really are not allowed to move around too much. Especially if your legs are numb....you really can't get into too many positions anyway.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i haad one and i had to sit up and lean forward for mine and just to let you know some hosiptals your husband has to leave the room why you get one mine did i was upset too i wanted him there but they told me if i wanted one he had to leave no family in the room after words i cryed i told my doctor my husband stays with me all the time i never want him to leave me my first child so i was scared and happy
    Anonymous

• on my back
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:44 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You will have to be in bed. Normally on your back or on your left side.
    I knew a doc who delivered babies with women lying on their left side, but chances of having a doctor in the US let you do that are slim. You will deliver on your back.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• On your back or propped up. They wouldn't let me up, I was half sitting.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I was on my back but nothing was numb on me.. I could feel everything. I had four epidurals and could still feel everything but the nurses and doctors only let me be on my back.
    Just found out I'm pregnant again and my NEW DOCTOR said no epidural for me, this time around I'm getting a spinal.. Oh boy can't wait... Did I even answer you question or just vent about me..LOL Sorry...
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 12:38 PM on May. 14, 2009