Is there any way you can stop diarea for a baby?

Amanda2430

Asked by Amanda2430 at 11:34 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try bananas
    LadyShock

Answer by LadyShock at 11:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• whats your definition of diarrhea? are you formula or breastfeeding? a breastfed baby can't have diarrhea
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• thats not true. My friend breastfeeds and her daughter has had two cases of diarrhea and all that baby has had is breast milk.
    Anonymous

• a breastfed baby can too have diarrhea. you can't really "stop" it especially if the baby is sick but you can try and help it by feeding them starchy foods like rice cereal, mashed potatoes, etc. my son had diarrhea and vomiting for 11 days straight once so I feel your pain! good luck.
    Anonymous

• omg 2mothershelpers are you serious? wow...
    Anonymous

• my daughter had a stomach virus when she was around 4-5 months old. her doctor told me to give her nothing but pedialite and breast milk, no formula or baby food, for 24 hours. it worked.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My guys is breastfed and eating solids and has had diarrhea and our peds told us to get him to drink water, pedialite and bananas. It worked like a charm.

I would not give the baby ANY medication in ANY form except tylenol or meds that your doc prescribed. Call your doc either way, they might have some better advise for you, otherwise you will have to let it run it's course.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:32 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's better not to stop diarrhea, because if there is something toxic in the baby's system it needs to get out. I was watching a documentary on a town where there were toxins in the water. The children whose parents gave them anti-diarrheal's died, and the ones who didn't lived. Ever since I saw that I dn't think I'll ever give him meds. (Not saying that the baby was poisoned...lol...just passing on some useful knowledge.)
    shantastic84

Answer by shantastic84 at 1:39 AM on May. 14, 2009