ADHD Dilemma

She is failing in school can't stay on any task. She is not focused at all on anything. Her attention span is so short its sad. The school wants to put her in special ed but I refuse because she is such a bright girl.

She refuses to take medication she feels if she takes it that means she's crazy. Even if I did decide to put her on something how would I get her to take it. That and it is so difficult to get someone for her to see.

I just don't know what to do at this point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• try Manuka honey and a church with a good youth group S. Baptist
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:02 AM on May. 14, 2009

• She probably is not a healthy eater and lacks the vital energy ingredients get he book the Hibernation Diet
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:03 AM on May. 14, 2009

• u ladies kill me with this crap about "its there diet" my son is ADHD and ODD and he eats very healthy and trust me its not chemicals in his food or lack of honey...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Anon 1250 some kids it is diet because they are not truly ADD/ADHD. Although I wouldn't spend money for the info. My child had the ADD label since 5 and now I think they misdiagnosed him & that he probably has APD. He goes for testing soon.

OP have her eyes checked, hearing etc. because as they get older if eye sight changed and you didn't know it can effect her attention. Is this something that is new or has it always happened? Is she on an IEP? She can be in special ed but not pulled from the classroom.

There are many possiblities but depends on different aspects. Also if a doctor feels it is ADD (or ADHD if she is hyper) you can go to a special compound pharmacy. What they do is take adderall and crush it to liquid form. If she doesn't like that they can make it to a cream like they do for children with autism. My son has a great doctor now and did the research to find things besides pills & the patch
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 3:53 AM on May. 14, 2009

• IF she won't take meds, take her to a behavior therapist and have them teach her ways to change her behavior. Have a therapist talk to her about how the meds help the chemicals in her brain work correctly so she can concentrate on school and not fail. Then she won't have to be in special ed eihter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:13 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Here's more. Tell her that she has to try the meds for 1 month and if she doesn't like how she feels then you can find something else to help her out. Also, Ritalin and Vyvanse are a type of pill that can be pulled apart and put in a tablespoon of applesauce and she won't even now she is talking it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 AM on May. 14, 2009

• First, find a therapist who works with people with ADD/ADHD and helps them learn to use this to their advantage. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books at your local library; more information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Next, there is a scientifically proven link between behavior and chemical additives. The Feingold Organization is an amazing source of information: www.feingold.org.
    We eat a diet of mostly plant based whole foods, and our daughter had some attention issues. The summer between 2nd and third grade we started giving her fish oil supplements, and the improvement in her attentionspan was amazing; we have since switched her to hemp oil.
    Feel free to contact me directly, and good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Just wondering. If the Feingold diet is so 'wonderful' why do you have to pay to join this 'program'. I checked the website and if it was all about helping kids you shouldn't have to pay for a food list!!! Or ...if you are a member, why not share your big wonderful secrets rather than directing people to a site you have to pay for??

And DUH ...everyone knows about the chemical additives in foods. We've heard that for YEARS! I don't need an $85 'shopping list' to help me purchase quality foods for my family. I see a registered dietitian for my own health reasons so yeah ...I know what is good and we eat good. It doesn't help my daughter control her hyper acitivity.
    Anonymous

• You need to explain to her that ADHD does not make her anywhere near "crazy". I was diagnosed at 5 and my daughter was diagnosed at 5. I explained to her that the medication will help her focus. I also told her the reason she needs to take it is because she is so smart and has so many ideas running through her head that it makes it hard for her to concentrate on just one. Also if you had to, you could crack open the capsules and sprinkle them in her food. She's old enough to know that she has been given it though.
    ajw05703

Answer by ajw05703 at 5:40 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Anon: You may be eating healthy foods, but if you are sensitive to certain foods, it can cause behavioral problems. This is often misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD. There are 2 ways to find out: an elimination diet or RAST testing for IgG & IgE. RAST test involves a blood draw. The lab examines the blood.

My son cannot have eggs, cow's milk, wheat or soy. These are considered to be healthy foods. But for him they cause hyperness, aggression, anger, depression, manic mood swings, inability to focus or follow directions.

Dr Feingold wrote his book on this subject in 1974. However, Dr's still dismiss it as a cause. Medication should be the LAST option, not the first.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:59 PM on May. 14, 2009