beware

I just wanted to let everyone know about what I heard on the news tonight. I didn't know this either but when you go to the store you are no suppose to put the infant carseat in the seat part of the basket. I did this with both my kids. The seat is not steady enough for the carseats and they can fall over. They are stating that many babies have been killed, they were talking about one that is in critical condition. Just wanted everyone to beware and keep your baby safe.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 12:14 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thanks so much!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:15 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Really? i thought that was one of the reasons you bought those rather than the kind that stays put! Thanks for the warning.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• WoW. Here is an article on it. "You may be surprised that the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend carrying children of any age in a shopping cart, with our without a car seat. It says it's safer to use one of those front-pack baby carriers that holds the child against your body, or a stroller for toddlers. Of course, that requires that you bring another adult with you when you shop."

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/Car-seats-in-shopping-carts-become-a-dangerous/r8L5T6EXd0mw29A5OjCsaw.cspx

SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:13 AM on May. 14, 2009

• actually walmart carts are made to put the carseat in they actually work with the new carseats and lock in to place. you actually have to pull the level tha tyou to release it from the base in your car , you have to pull thatsame lever to remove it from the cart. at ;east that is how they are here
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:37 AM on May. 14, 2009

• The carts I used the car seat also locks into place like Mrs.Owen86 said, you have to pull the release lever to disconnect if from the cart. I found this with both Wal-mart and Target carts, although the front part of the carseat in the target carts did not rest on the cart handle the back did latch onto the cart.
    I think that as long as you are paying attention to your child and your surroundings you will be fine!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You know when I was using my infant car seat(about 2 months ago) they would latch to but they can also slide around. I think stores need to find a safe way for kids to sit as people don't always have extra people to bring along with them.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:12 PM on May. 14, 2009