when are they ready for a toddler bed?

I'm wondering when we should consider putting the boys in toddler beds. Do you know when they are ready? Should we just switch and see how it goes?

megababies

Asked by megababies at 12:18 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until her second birthday. I've heard if they are climbing out of cribs that would be good.. I guess it just depends on when you're comfortable having them able to get out of bed on their own.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's most definitely up to you, but I would say either when they out grow their cribs or start trying to climb out of the crib. Once you put them into a toddler bed you will be introduced into new issues of them getting out of bed, fun, fun, fun! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 14, 2009

• First off how old are your children? and can they climb out of the crib? If they can climb out of the crib then it is time to get a bed.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 5:38 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. If they can climb out, move them. Otherwise I'd wait until they can understand the concept which, in my opinion, would be in the 2 1/2 to 3 yr range.
    Anonymous

• my boys will be 2 in july and no they cannot climb out yet.
    megababies

Answer by megababies at 12:14 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think it depends on when you're ready.  I put my little girl in a toddler bed at 18 mths. and it wasn't because she could climb out.  I also have many friends and family who put their babies in toddler beds as soon as they could walk!  As long as you put a gate in their doorway or keep their door shut until they learn how to open it. And keep in mind that the 1st night's yhe hardest for then.  They're losing that closed-in security.  My daughter fell asleep in her playhouse the 1st night then she was fine after that.

noranik

Answer by noranik at 7:22 AM on May. 15, 2009

• When they climb out of the crib on a regular basis or become to long for it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Mine are probably in a toddler bed a little earlier than some but we do it around 15-18 months probably. They get the idea and we've never had any major issues.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 8:40 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Our oldest trying climbing out of her crib at 11 months, so that's when we switched her. I figure that if they can climb out, it's time to switch so that they don't fall while escaping and hurt themselves.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 8:52 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Mine were all in a toddler or twin bed by 18 months. None of them attempted to climb out of their crib and they all did great in the toddler/twin bed. My older two went to a toddler bed and my youngest went to a twin bed because she's sharing a bunk bed with her sister.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2009