What do you do if you child has a horrible temper??

My daughter temper is BAD!! she cannot calm herself down when she gets mad, and I don't know what to do for her. I feel bad cause I have had the same problem most of my life. My dad is the same way, and I don't know how I can teach her to control her temper before it gets her in trouble. I am going to try talkin to her dr. and see if they can help, but I don't know if they can help with that kind of thing or not.

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 12:28 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You should talk with a child psychologist about age-appropriate tools to help your daughter control her temper. If she's really young, the only thing you might be able to do is physically remove her from the situation and into a quiet location-- like home. As she gets older, you might be able to teach her some cool down methods or other tools to help her.

In light of your own admission-- maybe you can help her by setting an example. That way you can tell her-- when mommy gets angry, I do x, y, z to make myself feel better and less angry. As she gets older, you can also teach her that there are some things that aren't worth getting angry over, such as things she has no control over.

Whatever method you choose, consistency will be the key. So even if she is justified in her anger, the tools you teach her need to be implemented.

Good luck!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:38 AM on May. 14, 2009

• How old is she?
    My MIL is a child pshcyhologist and we teach my DSS MANY different techniques. We've taught him to take deep breaths. In his nose, out his mouth. He's 3yrs old now. He started to do it appropriatly and effectivley when he was ...about 28 months or so. (but we taught him for a long time). And you have to try to teach it when they ARNT upset. Otherwise (as i'm sure you realize) she wont listen. We also taught him to count to ten in english and spanish. We also taught him a technique called "rag doll". Teach her to tense her body. Straight and rigid like the tin man. Hold it for like 10 seconds. Then just let go. relax all the way like a rag doll.
    You might also look into Yoga. It's helpful for adults as well as children.
    Good luck. I hope i helped.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 AM on May. 14, 2009

• She might be getting to much adreniline, and they might be able to help with that.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:36 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Take her to a child counselor for anger management counseling and an evaluation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Until you can get to a doctor, make her a stress less box. Take a box and decorate it together. In it put all things that will help her when she is angry or sad or stressed. In mine I have an "emergency" bottle of diet coke. :) chocolate, a stress ball, pictures of my children as babies, a picture of my hubby when he was being really funny, a picture of us on vacation (a really bad rainy awful vacation) a picture of my dad to help me cry when I can't (he has passed on). I also have a favorite lotion that I can't afford to buy so when I get it I use it sparingly.
    But let her put her things in that could help her to cope. Oh, and I wrote a letter to my daughter to put in hers of all the great qualities she has, how much she is loved ect. My kids have these stuffed animal creatures called "cooties" that they just love and my daughter put hers in her kit. This is a girl scout idea I am doing with my girl scouts. Good luck
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:09 PM on May. 14, 2009

• You MUST get this book! It will be the best $10 you ever spent! The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children (Paperback) by Ross W. Greene

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• what I do with my son. because he gets that way too at times. Is ignor the child after 2 or 3 minutes he stops. because he knows no one is listening'dont forget to walk out of the room.It might sound mean . but hey it works.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:04 PM on May. 15, 2009