should i be worried?

my son is 3 and he has this recurring cough for the last few nights after he falls asleep. its a little phlegmy, but there is no fever, no trouble breathing, and he still sleeps o.k. I tend to over react to every little noise my kids make. our first son was sick and with a 99 degree temp, we were in the hospital for 3 days, so i am used to freaking out and calling the dr for everything. my ped was my 1st sons dr, so when i do call all the time, he is very understanding and answers all questions, but i don't want my kids to start thinking they're sick all the time because their mom is always taking them to the dr.

chrissy780

Asked by chrissy780 at 12:31 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• I know what you mean, I'm the exact same way with my dd. I've learned to just give it a day or two, see if any new symptoms appear. If they do, that is when I start to worry. Just keep an eye on him.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:32 AM on May. 14, 2009

• He's had a cough with no fever, no trouble breathing....why worry? If you can, prop him up a little while he sleeps so that the mucus can drain and not make him cough as much.

If the cough lasts longer than 10 days, if a fever develops and lasts longer than 3 days, or if he starts having difficulty breathing, take him to the doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:54 AM on May. 14, 2009

• What if you just call teh dr's office and ask to talk to the nurse so they can tell you if you need to some in or not. Thats what i always do anyways.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Probably need to get a humidifier, to put a little moisture in the air at night so that he can sleep, it sounds like he has a dry throat, that will stop the cough.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I ditto on the humidifier. Make sure it's a cool mist one so your son doesn't get burned with a warm/hot mist one.
    You can also buy one of those Vicks plug-in things to help, too.
    Propping him up should certainly help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:54 AM on May. 14, 2009

• thx everyone. i am going to try these ideas over this weekend and if he is still having trouble on monday, i will call his ped. thank you.
    chrissy780

Answer by chrissy780 at 11:54 PM on May. 14, 2009