Being around paint while being pregnant, how can it affect my unborn baby??

My husband is a spray paint artist, and before i found out that I was pregnant I painted right along with him. I was around him all the time helping him out with the paint. Ive never gotten high off of it ive just always been around spray paint it outside. I stay away from it as much as possible now and am still outside while he paints and every once in awhile I smell it but when I do I stay farther away. I worry that it might have affected my baby in the beginning and I am now 26 weeks pregnant. Does anyone know how often an unborn baby is affected or should I be extremely worried at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont worry about it I used to paint while i was pregnant and the only problem my kid has is an extra eye
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Did you ask your doctor? Don't put yourself through any stress because if the paint didn't harm the baby the stress will. You just need to relax and I am sure things will be fine.
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 1:34 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it..but id be careful and stay away from the fumes as much as possible..but the smeel of paint makes me sick now that im pregnant anyway sooo
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:06 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i painted when i was pregnant with my son it was one room that needed to be painted i was 6 months pregnant but had all the windows open and my son is fine. Hes over a year and just as healthy as can be.
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 3:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't worry to much about it .
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:00 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Wow, I really need to say I strongly disagree with the answers above - although the original poster hopefully is fine and had a lovely, healthy baby - she wasn't asking about a one time exposure to house paint, she was asking about regular exposure to SPRAY PAINT - which as a professional artist, I strongly recommend mommies to be to stay away from as much as possible, as fumes, solvents and other industrial materials are pretty risky - even for single exposures, let alone multiple, regular ones. You breathe in the fumes when you spray paint and the chemicals can get directly into your blood and cross the placenta to the baby, who is much more vulnerable than you are. Not worth the risk, at least for me. If you *need* to tag, then at least get a proper mask with a respirator, and use a barrier cream on your hands, long sleeve clothes AND gloves.
    mangotahiti

Answer by mangotahiti at 11:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2011