• In the Spotlight:

What's the easiest way to go from breast feeding to bottle feeding?

My daughter is 5 months old and has been breast fed since she was born. I am a new mom without a good support system. I feel that I am not producing enough milk for her. But every time I try to get her to take a bottle she screams and wont take it. It gets to the point where I give in and go back to breast feeding because I feel she needs to eat. I could really use any advise.

Isabelle_121608

Asked by Isabelle_121608 at 1:48 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's no easy way to do this transition. Might be easier to help you with the supply issue...IF there is one. Has she had a drastic drop in dipes? If not, then you're making enough. Nothing else is a valid indicator of supply. What goes in has to come out. 6 changes a day, regardles of dipe content, you're making enough.

If you want more help with this, drop by the breastfeeding moms group. It's better set up for doing Q&A.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Do you really want to switch from breast to bottle or is it just because you dont think your producing enough milk?
    mommyof3nluvnit

Answer by mommyof3nluvnit at 1:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

• hi! my advice is that try puting your breast milk in a bottle then once she is used to the bottle try formula, and if that doesnt work, when my baby changed from one formula to another the doctor recomended to put half and half then each day try to put more of the new one.,but again that was from formula to formula try asking your pediatrician if that works from breast to formula.
    laflakita4e

Answer by laflakita4e at 3:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Is she having enough wet and soiled diapers? That is the only way for you to determine whether she is getting enough. Why do you feel you are not producing enough for her? I would work on your supply issue if there really is one before giving her bottles of formula, but that is just me. You could try giving formula or expressed milk in a supplemental nursing system to stimulate more breastmilk production.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on May. 14, 2009