For the mom's who's kids that took the bottle after a Year.

I was wondering when did you start weaning your child of the bottle? Was it only during the day? if so for how many months? did you give your child the bottle before bed? Are their teeth fine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 13m he has a bottle in the morning, for his nap, and bedtime. he gets a sippy cup through out the day. his teeth are fine...
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:48 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is 14months and just has a bottles in the morning and before bed. Afternoons are sippy cups!! I hope he will be off by next month! He is taking the sippy so well!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• when my son turned 1 i just stopped cold turkey. i think it worked because he's too young to get emotionally attached to it and their attention span is so short. also, the older they get, the more dramatic they get so do it soon...worked with both my boys.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I thnk their teeth are fine You might want to start weaning them off of the bottle at about age 2 and maybe replace the bottle with a sippy cup.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 5:29 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I disagree with homealone ...
    you should get children of the bottle asap. my son himself never had one after we stopped breastfeeding ( at about 13 month) we went right to a sippy cup and than to a regular cup.
    StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 9:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I asked my ped about this and he said the tooth thing is if they A)carry the bottle in their teeth all day long and B)fall asleep with it IN their mouth. It's more of the milk pooling in their mouth and staying there that causes decay. Just having the milk isn't bad--and really, if you're rocking with a bottle or they're drinking it out of a sippy, if the milk itself caused all the decay then you'd have to brush their teeth every single time they ate or drank anything. Saliva is for rinsing out our mouths so we don't have to do that, and my DD has plenty of saliva!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• MY DD WAS 18 MONTHS AND MAN WE SHOULD HAVE TOOK IT AWAY AT 1 .....WE BRUSH HER TEETH TWICE A DAY AND SHE STILL GOT CAVITIES AND HAD TO GET SEALANTS AND A CAP ! NOW SHE DRINKS FROM THE SIPPY! THE DENTIST SAID YOU NEED TO START BRINGING THEM AT 1 FOR CHECK UPS AND THERE NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO DRINK FROM A SIPPY CUP BECAUSE THEY ARE SUCKING AND IT PUTS PRESSURE ON THERE TEETH, THERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A CUP THAT ALLOWS THEM TO ACTUALLY SIP !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I am not a bottle breaker, I wean slowly.

I have done a lot of research on this cause some of my kids get cavaties and others didn't and when it came to the bottle they were rasied the same. Pooling of the milk is a problem, but the biggest concern is with kids who walk around with one in thier mouths all day. Genetics play the largest role in how a childs teeth will turn out, a lot of parents forget that, also the condition of your teeth when you are pregnant play's a role. Thier are many reasons why little ones will get cavities, the bottle is just a small portion.

Even though I don't bottle break...I cut them back to bed and naps only.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:14 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm with you luckysevenwow...my daughter will be turning one next month and I'm not going to "snatch" the bottles away from her. She sits in my lap for all her bottle feedings and doesn't walk around with them, so I see no problem with letting her hold onto them for another 6 months or so. But, I will be cutting them back to just morning and bedtime bottles. Her bottle feedings are the only times during the day that she will sit still long enough for me to cuddle with her...call me selfish, but I'm not ready to bring an end to that just yet.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:11 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is 14 months old and only has his bottle in the morning and at bedtime. He only gets his bottle during the day IF and only IF he is extermely fussy. I do NOT let him walk around with it and I take it away as aoon as it is empty otherwise he just chews on it. We are slowly trying to wean him off of it completely. He drinks juice from a regular cup (no sippy cups) but drinking the milk from a cup is proving to be a little more difficult.
    vpsmama

Answer by vpsmama at 1:57 PM on May. 14, 2009