How did you figure out what you wanted to get a degree in?

I really need to start doing more with my life then just be a SAHM. I don't want a minimum wage job when my son goes to preschool...I want something that will actually help me and my DH get somewhere in our life. I just have the hardest time concentrating in school and studying and was thinking of going to a trade school...but now I don't know what for...how did you figure it out? or are you still trying to figure it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, back in the dark ages of the 70s when I was in middle school, they gave us aptitude tests. Mine recommended journalism, and it was something I was already interested in. So that's where I went.

What are your interests? What do you do well, besides raising kids? **grin** Perhaps working with kids would be good; there are plenty of opportunities in child care.

Your employment development department may be able to offer some career guidance for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I liked teaching and math, so i trained to be a math teacher. It wasn't what I ended up doing, though. Think about what you like, and then figure out what jobs there are where you could use that preference.

Answer by Bmat at 6:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i decided to go to nursing school. i am compassionate and i truly enjoy taking care of others. i have an interest in medicine, but not enough to be a doctor. i have been accepted into the licensed practical nurse program for september 2010. that's a 1 year course. afterward i will think about pursuing the Registered Nurse certification, but at this point it's not worth it for me. i did extensive research on what the jobs entail ,and LPN seems to be the right fit for me.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:49 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I wish I knew too. I want to earn a degree online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Back in the mid-90's I got a job as a PCA (personal care attendant) with a visiting nurse service and learned a lot about what CNA's and nurses do in their line of work. I became more interested in the medical field so earned my own CNA license and worked in a nursing home, but wanted even more. I went to a brick & mortar college and became a MA (medical assistant) in 1999, but could only find a job as a Director of the Medical Records department for a long-term care pharmacy. That is when I found that I absolutely loved the clerical side of the medical profession even more than the patient care part of it.
    So, last year, I looked for an accredited online college with a good medical coding program and earned my degree this past March! I'm returning back in 4 days to earn another degree in HR management so I can be versatile in many avenues of the medical office!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I really enjoyed working with numbers so I chose accounting. I took my last class in April in and I graduate in June. I have decided that I am going back to school to become a Hygentist. I worked in the dental field for 14 yrs doing assisting and front desk and loved it. I have a great online college for you... Go to Baker online college. They are one of the cheapest that I found and will give you everything you need to suceed.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 9:03 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Take an aptitude test at a job service or local college. I chose my major by personal experience and many people telling me that I would be good in the field. I am go for Human Services and then for a Masters in Social Work. I want to work with kids and adults that have ADHD/ADD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 AM on May. 14, 2009

• im about to get licensed in asthetics and cosmetology, the programs dont take too long and its something ive been wanting to do for years, i like to do all that girly stuff, and there are always jobs available everywhere
    abbyl2490

Answer by abbyl2490 at 12:02 PM on May. 14, 2009

• op...thanks ladies. great tips!
    Anonymous