How do I deal with a nasty ex?

My ex (father of our 2 children) is being quite nasty in the whole 'custody' issue. I broke up with him and at the time did not know where i was going, so left the kiddos there as to not put them at risk. I have been in constant contact with them...me at his place visiting, or them over at mine, or just going out with the kids...but now when it comes to court discussion he says he'll claim i abandoned them so he will get sole custody???? I am 26 and have no idea what im getting into with this stuff....any advice would help. Please

dawn277

Asked by dawn277 at 6:39 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• If I were you I'd be for getting me a lawyer because he's going to make this ugly just so that he doesn't have to pay child support.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• call a lawyer for a free c onsult
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• GET A LAWYER

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 7:36 AM on May. 14, 2009

• They guy is a dick...get a lawyer (free legal help) and fight it. My heart goes out to you...I hope it works out hun =) *hugs*
    ShannonLeigh02

Answer by ShannonLeigh02 at 8:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My ex tried this with me. I could have won an academy award for the lying I did. I convinced him that I wanted to get back together with him. Prior to that I had let him have a visit with our boys and then he went and filed for custody, then they stay with him until it went to court. Well then I went to work, got him to move back in with me, that I wanted to make things work, I know it sounds horrible but I would have done anything to have my boys home. I have sole physical custody now and he has visitation. You will need to get an attorney, but that's what I did. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• If you have a place for them to come and havent been to court- Keep Them Now. And dont let his nastyness keep you from your kids or it will be him keeping them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My ex tried this with me. I could have won an academy award for the lying I did.

YUp...truly disgusting! Obviously the kids don't belong with you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

Why in the hell would he be trying to get out of "paying child support" when he is already supporting them in his home??? Shouldn't mama be paying some to him?? Grow up!!

Lady get yourself a lawyer asap...he does have a case of abandonment. Plain & simple! You may be paying the support....if your employed! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't know what state your in but I assume this is the same for most states.... Unless you have a court order you have joint custody(it is always assumed untill otherwise ordered), if you decide to keep them after your next visitation and not give them back there is nothing the police can do about it... especally if your still married technically. I would however, make sure you have a room for them and all the other things they need b/c your ex may lash back and call CPS. Good Luck... WHAT EVER YOU DO.... DONT LET HIM GO TO COURT WHILE HE STILL HAS THE KIDS!!! My mom lost her younger boys like that. Good luck!
    luvmykaitygrace

Answer by luvmykaitygrace at 9:23 AM on May. 14, 2009

• He can, will, and should call the cops if you take the kids! C'mon ladies...be honest! It all boils down to how the cops feel at the time on what happens to you! You better hope there's not a cop that's is/or has been in this situation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 14, 2009