Do you regularly attend church?

My family and I haven't stepped in to the doors of a church in almost a year. For many different reasons.

There are some out there that tell me and others such as myself that we are not 'rea' Christians because we don't attend church every Sunday.

Why do we have to meet in a building one or two days out of every week to worship God? I can do that in my home, my car and my heart. I don't need a building full of people to

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Asked by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 7:02 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, if you take Jesus as an example, he didn't teach in what we would consider a church setting. He taught out in the open or he taught in people's homes. If you can't find a building that builds up your spirituality, than there's nothing wrong with just staying home, maybe reading a devotional, prayer, meditation, etc. I recently have been blessed with finding a wonderful church family (unity.org) in which I feel very spiritually fed after each service but I've also spent many years without and have been able to find my time with GOD just fine.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:25 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't go to church but a group from the church visits my home once a week for study.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I do attend church regularly. And I will say I was exactly where you are not too long ago! And I don't think that going to church makes you more or less of a Christian! I think God wants us to be in fellowship with other Christians for a number of reasons. A few being, fellowship and friendship, accountability, people to pray for us, and for us to be able to help others that may need us. I also believe that you should find a church that you "want" to do these things in. Finding a church with a group of believers that you feel comfortable in, and you share the same views. I went to a church years ago, and they have changed so much...we got out of church and now we are at a church I LOVE!!!

Good luck, and I am truly sorry you have not found a church that makes you feel at home! Please don't give up on it...they need you as much as you need them!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I am with you. I aggravates me to no end that people think if you don't go to church you are somehow a bad person or less of a christian. How judgemental is that?! I think that a person's relationship with God (no matter what religion) is no one's business but their own. Anyone that tells you different is trying to brainwash you.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I've been there. I don't go to church, like you, for many reasons (for another post, LOL). I will say that I believe my relationship with God has strengthened because of it - I read the bible and pray everyday (sometimes multiple times), which I never did as a church-goer.

Some people look at a Christian who doesn't go to church and really belittle them, citing the bible for their meanness. What they don't understand is that the "body of the church" is within each of us!

I don't have to have a man with a doctorate tell me what is and isn't acceptable to God. How do YOU know what's acceptable to God or not? Are you God? I don't think so. Not even close.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Well, I'm pagan. I feel that nature in my church... And yes, I put aside time to go and spend time with the gods... But no I don't go to an actual church.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's funny...people in other countries do a lot if not most of their practicing at home.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:51 AM on May. 14, 2009

• no im a witch and i do not feel like i need to be in a church that i do not believe in i have my faith
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes, we do. Every week. If a person chooses not to,that's their business. But, for my family, it strengthens our walk with God. I love being with my brothers and sisters in Christ, worshipping God together, learning what God has for us all,and just socializing with like-minded Christians. We are very active in our church,and love it. Our son is active in the youth group,and that was one of the biggest reasons we began going to that church. He was drifting from God, and after praying for him, he began going with friends to the church we now attend. He loved it,and wanted to be part of the youth,and after we went, we loved it also,and that's where we've been ever since. I have no doubt God led us there for a reason.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't go nearly as much as I should, but I feel like you, that I can have a relationship with God regardless of whether I go to church. Since I'm Catholic, that is not a popular opinion...! We do go however and I also am a teacher's helper for a CCD class (Sunday School).

When I was a child I remember hearing a Christian comic make this remark and I have never forgotten it:

"Sitting in church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage makes you a car!"

I really believe it's what is in your heart. :o)
    blessed3times

Answer by blessed3times at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2009