Cat Urine and health effects..

Does anyone know what health problems can come from cat urine in my carpet. The previous tenants had cats and the previous matenience man did not clean the carpets and there was cat poop in the corner of the closet and the cat litter is literaly under the carpet and I think the urine has soaked into the floor boards. When it gets warm in the bedroom the urine smell is horid...Please help! I want to get the health dept over here it's so gross!! And I think I'm getting sick from it..

Ambz

Asked by Ambz at 7:20 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• Not sure what health problems could arise from this, I do not think any but you can always look it up on the net. I would talk to your landlord or rental company about this. Personally, I would have noticed cat urine smell when I first looked at the place and insisted the carpeting be replaced. If landlord does not want to replace now, ask if you can get it professionaly cleaned and give him a bill or subtract from your rent. I rented a room in someones house for years and when I first moved in the cat urine smell was sickening. I got some kind of carpet freshener and doused the carpet with the entire can and got rid of the smell.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:15 AM on May. 14, 2009

• if it is that bad i dont think they will get rid of it with out getting rid of the carpet. iw ould also have noticed that befor i actuall rented it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• yes the amonia in the pee is really bad for babys.....pull it all up and they say not to be around cat litter when your preg. too. so yes it could cause helth problems... go to yougotfungus.com and theres really good bactirial cleaners.
    Victoriasmom23

Answer by Victoriasmom23 at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't' think that you can get sick from it . The smell it self can make you sick just smelling it. Vinegar is Great for getting rid of bad smells.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 1:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The reason we didn't know before we rented it was because my MIL is a bitch and went psycho when she got a divorce and kicked everyone out that wouldn't take sides including my fiance, myself and out not quiet 2 yr old. We were living out of our car in sept for 2 weeks so we HAD to take it. Plus it was winter and the smell wasn't really THAT noticable.. But now that it's warming up it's gotten worse. I plan on reporting it so they can replace it.. Thanks for all of the input!
    Ambz

Answer by Ambz at 7:44 PM on May. 14, 2009