• In the Spotlight:

Do you think the NICK NAME DJ sounds boyish or girlish?

We have decided that a boy will most likely be Dawson James.. I think DJ is a cute nickname but then i was watching fullhouse reruns and the girl on there is DJ so I got to thinking maybe i shouldnt use DJ for a boy? the name will be Dawson James unless we cahnge our minds at the last minute but just wonering about the nickname? (i like nicknames btw)

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:01 AM on May. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• My brothers name is DJ and my friends son nickname is Dj also. I think that i can be unisex
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Besides Full House, every DJ I've known has been a boy.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:06 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think DJ is a neutral name. I have known DJ's of both sex. It is perfectly fine for a boy.
    Twizlr

Answer by Twizlr at 8:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• DJ was the boy on Roseanne. I associate DJ as a boy's name.

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My niece is a "DJ" but I also know a boy that is a "DJ" my son is "AJ" and I've seen that for boys and girls equally.  I think when you just use initials for a nickname, most can be either boy or girl.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:01 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's unisex because it's initials.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• sounds boyish to me.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 9:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I always associate it with a boy name ... but that is only because I only know boys nicknamed DJ.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:47 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I guess it could go either way, but personally I do not find it a feminine nickname at all. It is definitely more of a boy name.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:51 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Honestly, I think DJ sounds like a boy nickname. But my sister's name is Dana June and my parents always called her DJ, or Deege. My son's name is Troy Jason and people want to call him TJ...I don't like it one bit. If I wanted him named TJ that's what I would've named him. I'm just funny that way. My oldest son's name is Chancey & people call him Chance. That annoys me so. Again, if I wanted him called Chance I would have named him that.
    Mama2Troy

Answer by Mama2Troy at 9:51 AM on May. 14, 2009