If you had an abnormal papsmear...would you?

Ask for another exam. Well my results were normal as far as my cells not being cancerous, So instead of going once a year she asked me to come back in 6 months so it sounds like she wants me to come in every 6 months.
But I can't help to wonder that why can't I just come in 3 months only bc I am freaking what if...what if...Is it too soon to have another one done? I want to stay on top of this before anything appears. What would you do? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Health

• 6 months is just fine. You have to realize that it takes those things a while to appear if they are going to, and you have about a 6 to 24 month window (according to my doctor) to get rid of them before they turn into something more.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• if you are worried about it, go on ahead in at 3 months.. It's your health, and if you feel better by going in every 3 months, then GO! Just talk and explain it to your doctor, I'm sure you guys can come to an understanding or compromise on the months. OO and good luck hun, I hope everything stays fine for you!
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 9:48 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Six months is fine. I had the same thing with the abnormal pap. It's been over two years since my last one and I've had all normal ones since. The reason they don't have you come in even more frequently is because...if you do have abnormal cells, they usually start out as pre-cancerous and can take many, many years to ever become cancerous. The average time for them to become cancerous is 10-15 years. So...even if you didn have other abnormal cells, 6 months will be plenty of time to catch them and have them removed. Don't worry...I worried too...and it's all turned out fine. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:10 AM on May. 14, 2009