Daycare is a scary thing huh?

I have a 7 month old daughter and I am seriously considering working more hours at my job( I already work part time ,but more money would be great right now). Only problem is that I would have to find a daycare for my girl. The only thing that has stopped me from doing this is that I am so untrusting of other people(Well that,and I really LOVE being at home with her more). So I also feel a little guilty leaving her with someone else.

It seems you hear all these horror stories about the stuff that happens to kids at the hands of people that are supposed to be taking care of them( daycare providers...PARENTS EVEN)! It scares me. I know millions of people put their children in daycare and nothing bad ever happens, I guess I just need someone to put my mind at ease. Are there any questions that I absolutely need to be asking potential daycare providers that might not be common sense? I want to make sure I cover everything.

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 9:23 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cont.

Go in, talk to the people and other paretns, see what the routine is and if the kids seem happy. If you have any doubts, try another center. Make sure it's clean and has age appriopriate toys. It should have a good amount of space for the number of kids. Ask the director about the teachers (ie are there education requirements, CPR training, etc), about incident reports and how they are handled. pick up and drop of policies and how they handle guests picking up your child. They should require photo ID and written authorization from you.

In general, if the teachers are happy and the kids are happy, it's going to be a good place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 14, 2009

• What you need to do is make sure you ask all the questions you have. Find a day care in a church. I have quite a few around me.. Don't feel guilty that you have to work and provide for your little girl. Many people are having to do that right now. make sure all the workers in the facility have had background checks. ask what they do as far as discipline. It's going to be hard the first couple of days. but you have to stick to it if that is your only option. have you tried to find someone who could come to your house and watch her..it would be cheaper (sometimes) than putting her in day care. Do you have a cousin, sister, aunt, grandma, anyone who can watch her while you are at work and pay them a little something when you get paid.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:29 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I love my day care. My mom used to work there years ago and I worked at a different location so I understand how it works form the inside and I turst the overall methods of the center.

Most teachers enjoy their jobs. When my daughter had her first cold, her teacher propped up her crib so she was sliping at a slight inclide to help with the drainage. They took really good care of her. Even at 2, she stops by the baby room each morning to see her old teachers. :)

I know some day cares are bad, and some make mistakes and hire bad people. We had a teacher fired from mine for biting a child (before I got there, though)! Didn't hurt them, but it was unacceptable and they were let go. That is what I like to see at a day care. I udnerstand you can't control every person, but the day care took responsibility and the approrpate actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 14, 2009