Whats a good punishment for a 4 yr old for killing a duckling?

My son was playing with my friends 3 ducklings at her house & we were visiting & not paying attention & when we checked on him he had killed 1 of the ducklings. I completely understand that he needs 2 be punished & we gave them 2 ducklings 2 replace the 1 he killed plus I sat him in the naughty chair for 4 minutes but I don't KNOW if thats a good enough punishment. My husband says that he thinks he needs all his toys taken away for 4 days (1 day for every year) no movies basically no fun plus he wants 2 get rid of all his pets which are actually all of ours. I feel thats too harsh of a punishment but I'm not sure. He is only 4 & I know he don't understand the concept that if you hurt animals there could be consiquences like death. Whenever he asks if he can have a toy or watch a movie & I tell him "no" I don't think he understands he's being punished for something he did the day before. I don't know what to do!! Please help!!!

smiley_toni21

Asked by smiley_toni21 at 9:43 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Pets

• if you deside to take the toys and such away when he does ask for them you need to tell him youget no toys because of what you did to the duckling. I wouldnt get rid of your animals but toys and movies is a good idea.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:54 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think that is way too far. the naughty chair was good enough I mean he is four years old for gosh sakes.He does not understand the fact that he KILLED something. No offense but this is partly your fault for not watching him...a four year old does not understand how to treat animals or understand death or how to kill. give the poor thing his toys back...
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I have recently gone through something similar,mine pulled off the legs off of a lizard and said it was because he thought they would grow back.I handled this by asking him if it would hurt if I pulled his legs and arms off and I told him how hard life would be to play and do things he liked to do with out them.Then we talked about how the lizard would die now because he couldn't defend himself and He started crying Then I told him we could pray for the lizard and ask god to help him not to do this anymore and for forgiveness.

leo72482

Answer by leo72482 at 10:18 AM on May. 14, 2009

• oh my too far. if you pull off the tail of a lizard it will grow back. someone probably showed your son that and he pulled off a leg instead. good grief...........................
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:21 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Ok this is all too much! My lil man had a quarter sized turtle when he was 3. We had found it in the yard and bought it a cage,etc. My son played with it often, one day he started crying unconsolable for 4 hours straight. He had pushed on the shell to "see how strong it was" and crushed it. That was 2 years ago and he saw the left over turtle food in the garage last week and teared up again. He was so sad for what he had done. Enough punishment.... Our long time dog died 2 weeks later and we had already learned about death, so it made that situation easier. You never know what they have learned from the experience. Just use it to teach him about life & death.
    You never said if he did it to be mean or accident???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think he has been punished enough. Why would you leave a 4 yo without supervision around a baby animal or any animal? Kids are unpredictable as is animals. Why? I think you should use this as a lesson learned..young children need supervision and kids and animals unattended do not mix.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:20 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Geez, your hubby is way overboard here. Your son is 4 years old, and he didn't know what he was doing or the consequenses of it. Getting rid of the pets is punishing them, not your son in any case. One day without toys and maybe 2 days without his favorite TV/movies is quite enough. Just make sure YOU have learned your lesson--you can't EVER take your eyes off your child in an unfamiliar situation, you never know what they might do.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• My son is 8 and accidently let the dog out the back fence and he was crying on the side walk for like 10 minutes! He thought the dog was never going to come back.

Things like that need to be a learning experience, not a scrary experience. You can never keep an eye 100% of the time - kids can do something in a matter of seconds. But I think where you went wrong is ceasing the moment to explain about death and how permanent it is.
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I think pagirl71 nailed it.
    He is four and does not understand yet that death is permanent. Next tiem do not leave children alone with animals, period.
    WhippleBaby

Answer by WhippleBaby at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with pagirl and whipplebaby- your son should not have been left alone with a tiny baby animal in the first place. Taking his toys away and punishing him for something he doesn't understand is going way too far. Now if he violently killed the animal that is one thing, but if was just accidentally too rough with it and it died, that is another. I am not sure what the circumstances are, but I am assuming he was just too rough with it??
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:35 PM on May. 14, 2009