How do you do the CIO method?

Does CIO work for you? I used to say I didn't want to try it, but I have been lately and it doesn't work. My LO will stand up in her crib and scream for ever. How can I get her to not stand up and just lay down and comfort herself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes a while. How old is your LO? She may not be ready. I did not use the CIO method until they were over 1 and still not sleeping through the night.
    It did work for me, but it took a good week. They cried, but each day it got less and less. I made sure that they were safe in their crib, nothing to harm them and let them CIO. It was hard, it breaks your heart to hear them cry, but after a while, it gets easier on them, and before you know it they will be sleeping better.
    A good nights sleep is good for both you and your baby.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:58 AM on May. 14, 2009

• For Kaylee I let her cry for about 15 mins at first, go in and lay her back down, talk with her for a minute, and leave. If she gets back up and cries, then I leave her for 10 minutes, go in lay her back down and talk with her. Wash rinse and repeat every 5 mins.

If, by the end of the last time she is still crying then I pick her up, snuggle her in her room (I have a recliner in there) for 5-10 minutes and start all over again.

Usually though, she either goes right to sleep, quietly talks to herself until she falls asleep, or I might have to go in there once. She is pretty good about it.
    (and she just turned 1 on the 11th. I have been doing this since she was 8 months)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• We were forced to use the CIO method when my daugther was about 3 1/2 - 4 months old. She'd fall asleep in our arms or sleep on our bellies but would alway wake up whenever we put her down. We tried everything and nothing worked. After 2 weeks of sleeping in the recliner with her we decided to do CIO. It worked eventually but it took almost 2 - 3 months before she stopped crying at bedtime. Started at 30 minutes-up to 90 minutes (that was my cut off at that point I'd go back in calm her down and start all over), after 2 months it started getting shorter. At 6 months she started going down at bedtime a lot better. It was like the lightswitch just went on in her head because it was literally an overnight switch. Now she lets loose a couple of squawks until we're out of sight then she rolls over and sometimes plays awhile or just goes to sleep.

tschoenike

Answer by tschoenike at 10:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• If your instincts are telling you to pick her up and cuddle her then do it. Its obviously not working for a reason. Babies are not meant to just lay there and cry. They need to feel your security and love. Its a lazy method. My baby falls asleep next to me every night and will never know what it feels like to be alone. Humans are the only species that abandons their young for a "good night sleep." no good comes from CIO. Maybe try co sleeping or get the book The No Cry Sleep Solution. Please don't let your LO cry.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Tschoenike that's very dangerous to let a 4 month old cry for 90 min!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Easy, put baby in crib. Walk away as they scream and wonder why mama isnt comforting them.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:53 AM on May. 14, 2009

• tschoenike....thats kinda harsh dont u think? that you started at 31/2 months old? thats way too young. your DD was tryin to tell you something. She needed that cuddling time. My DD did the same thing but you have to gradually let them go. NOT 30-90 minute periods. That's insane. You shouldnt even let at 12 month old CIO that long.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 14, 2009

• calliesmommie i so agree with you!!!!!! I HATE CIO METHOD!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 14, 2009