hand sleeping, and won't "wake up" @ 32 weeks.

Every night, all through the night I wake up with my left hand sleeping, always my left hand and it takes a while to get it to "wake up".
This happens every night since I've been about 28 weeks, I'm 32 weeks now and it happens 2 or 3 times a night waking me up....I don't really sleep on my left arm or anything so I can't figure out what might be causing it.
This is quite annoying and even hurts a little bit.
What might this be caused by and should i be worried?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 10:01 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do you have high blood pressure? That used to happen to me, whether I was laying on it or not, I would wake up with my whole arm asleep. I bonked myself in the face with it one night, lol. I had SUPER high blood pressure and had to be on bedrest for the last few weeks of my pregnancy. If it's not your blood pressure, tell your Dr. about it at your next check-up. More than likely, it's just bad ciruculation (pregnancy tends to do that).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• could be tension in your left shoulder. See if your dh will massage your shoulder before going to bed at night and see if that helps. I had a muscle spasm knot in my shoulder I didn't know about. I went to Physical Therapy and they massaged it out and the "sleeping" stuff in my arm that woke me up stopped after that

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would wait and if the numbness didn't go away within a few hours I would call my doctor.I know that carpel tunnel syndrome can cause numbness in the hands,wrist's,ect...good luckim sorry

leo72482

Answer by leo72482 at 10:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i had the same thing when i was pregnant.. my hand and arm were numb constantly for the last 4 or so months of my pregnancy. its caused by water retention in your arms.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My whole arm is asleep when I wake up in the AM. or in the middle of the night. But I think its cause I sleep on it.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 10:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would consider going to see a chiropractor. It could be a pinched nerve. He can also check your blood pressure for you, to see if that is a factor. My chiropractors were all godsends through my pregnancies!! (And a good Massage Therapist doesn't hurt either!!)
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:58 AM on May. 14, 2009