my 13 year old daughter told me that my 16 year old daughter had a tatoo, and i slipped and told the older one that her sister told me. Now she won't speak to her!

what do I do??

librarylover321

Asked by librarylover321 at 10:04 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to the older one and tell her that it has nothing to do with her sister, and that it has everything to do with HER dishonesty and lying. If she had been honest with you from the beginning and told you about the tattoo, then this would have never happened. OR, if she had been responsible and NOT gotten the tattoo, this would never have happened.

As it is though, I wouldn't fret too much. She can't ignore her forever, and some things siblings just need to work through on their own. This is a trust issue between them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:06 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I'd be finding the tattoo artist that tattooed her and sue them for tattooing some one under aged without parental consent! Then ground my 16 year old till she was 18!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 14, 2009

• How did your 16 yr old get someone to tatoo her without parental permission? You shouldn't have told your 16 yr old that her sister told you about the tatoo. You broke your daughter's confidence and you have to find a way to fix that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 AM on May. 14, 2009

• nothing. Let them deal with it

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I told my dad that my lil sis who is 15 was planning on getting a tatoo on her but with her friend so they could be matching. well now she wont talk to me and its been 4 months. she told me that im no longer her sister and that she never told on me when i did stupid stuff. then she told me she wants nothing to do with coming out to visit me when i have my first here in july.im just waiting for her to finish her hissy fit. i try to call and talk to her but she wont pick up so as long as i try thats all i can do.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:01 AM on May. 14, 2009

• ouch! you let it ride out.. you just broke the trust of both of your girls!! i learned at a very young age DO NOT TALK TO FAMILY ABOUT ANYTHING U DONT WANT EVERYONE KNOWING..... dont be suprised if your kids dont open up to u so much anymore...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• There is a good side to it... if they are mad, they will tell on each other. My teens are getting along all too well these days - that's when trouble starts, cause they start covering for each other!!!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:14 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Hello, you are REALLY new here! I was the very first person to view your profile! If you are the mother of (1) kid, whose 13 y/o & 16 y/o daughter are you referring to? Welcome to CafeMom.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:35 PM on May. 14, 2009

• The older daughter should just suck it up and not be angry. If you think you are grown enough to make decisions your parent requested you not make, then deal with it. If she were mature enough to get the tatt, then she needs to be mature enough to tell about it herself and not be so immature.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:44 PM on May. 14, 2009

• First of all, they're teenage girls. Secondly, unless you gave your 16 year old permission to get a tattoo, or it's legal in your state, you don't really have a leg to stand on. Don't worry that the 13 year old isn't getting any communication from her sister. That's normal. If they weren't fighting about tattoos, it would be something else. I would be more concerned about her getting a tattoo, what kind of tattoo, and the location of the tattoo. My mother wrote this.
    Wonder_Mommie

Answer by Wonder_Mommie at 3:17 PM on May. 24, 2009