• In the Spotlight:

Is this normal or should I go to my Ped.?

My 10 week old for the past 2 weeks or so has been suffering from terrible cramping. She kicks her legs and curls into a fetal ball and yelps. This goes on all day and all night. She gets so tired she eventually will have maybe 2 - 45minute naps a day and constant interrupted night sleeps until it reaches its peak painfulness every morning around 5am and then we start all over again. If she's lucky she get 6-9 hours of sleep in a 24 hr period. I've been on the elimination diet for over 4 weeks, never had dairy at all because of a family allergy (on my hubbies side). I breastfeed exclusively and have tried block feeding and am now trying the football hold in case she is gulping air. Her belly is never hard though and it seems like it's just painful for her to pass gas and poop. Her poops are slightly mucousy but I was told that's ok. I'm worried about her lack of sleep, should I go to my ped with my concerns?

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 10:05 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's been in pain and you wonder if it's normal? I feel so sorry for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would take her to the peds just to be on the safe side. Have you tried Mylecon drops? It's for Gas, I know my son had to use that, or he would be in pain. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I talked to my doctor a little over a week ago and he called it colic....that's all I got out of him.. i just wonder if i should press the issue..
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 10:10 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would go to the pediatrician as soon as I can..however it sounds like she has colic. the ped. can give you some drops to give her to ease her stomach pain. try giving her some mylican drops until you can go. lay her on her back and move her legs like she is pedaling a bicycle. also take her when she is having a pain spell,you sit on the edge of your couch(right at the end of you seat) lay her across your legs on her belly. support her head in your hand. lay her stomach right over top of your knee. don't put your knee cap in her belly but lay her on the top part of your knee. steadily shake your leg up and down and it should help with passing gas and eliminate gas bubbles. always worked for my two.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• this is normal for colic....do what i said with the leg thing. oh yeah answer this for me...does your baby hold her head up or can she move her head good yet?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:14 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i think people don't realize what colic is defined as, it's not simply gas cramping. colic is inconsolable crying for up to 3 hours, 3 times a week for approx. 3 months. it's not what i have. the baby doesn't cry for hours, she only cries when she has pain and when the cramps subside she stops moaning, crying, yelping.. the cramps wake her from a deep sleep all day long. i've tried dropd, colic calm, bicycling even bathed with her. she can hold her head up well. my concern is the fact that she never sleeps and will that cause her developmental delays because she rarely has time between cramps to enjoy her little life.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I would see the pediatrician... maybe a NEW one. Colic is not a diagnosis it's a symptom of something else going on.
    I think you are on the right track with the elimination diet.... have you tried all gluten free as well??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:41 AM on May. 14, 2009

• you know i've considered gluten as a cause. i barely eat as it is, gluten free would be extremely hard, however it may be worth a try..i will do anything to try and help her.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2009

• well what ever. don't take the advice from a Mother who has experience colic twice.there is no time limit on crying because you find ways to comfort your baby. and a baby with colic can be comforted if you know what you are doing and can find the one trick that helps your baby. when my daughter had colic she would just have about 20 minutes at a time in a 3 hour period on and off all day where she would fuss, cry, pull her knees up to her chest and yelp. and she didn't nap well or sleep at night. so I know for a fact what you are going through. It was colic. My son however, went through it most of the day and night. You find ways to comfort your baby. anytime a baby pulls or kicks legs or moved into a fetal ball it is because they have gas pains and they cannot get it to pass. the tips i gave you as far as vibrating would help. Take your child to another ped. and see if they don't tell you the same thing.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Try probiotics, for both you and her. For her, you can sprinkle them in her mouth when she is beginning to feed. PM me if you need more info:) Hope she gets better quickly!!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:47 AM on May. 14, 2009