Seperation Anxiety in 3 year old

My StepSon who is 3 is going thru some MAJOR S.A. issues... We wake him up to go to school and he says he wants to stay at home with Daddy and I. Well both of us are working parents so that cant happen. He says that if he goes to school that he is going to miss us. He recently moved frm his mothers home ( whom he was living with for 6 months and saw his father and I on weekends) back to us full time. He cries to the point where he sobs and throws a fit and hysterics and nothing makes him stop crying. Except him getting to stay home from school and not go. We pay a pretty penny for him to be in school and I feel that interaction with children and different people is good for him. Does this get any easier? Will he grow out of this? Are there any tips or ideas anyone has that I can use to ease him into this? We drop him off at 8am and I have been getting him at 3pm. He gets breakfast lunch snack and dinner. a good school too,

NicksAshALee

Asked by NicksAshALee at 10:09 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ask how he is at school. 9 out of 10 times, they stop within a few minutes of dropping them off. As me and my friends say, it's just for show, and it is common at that age, and with gentle consistancy it goes away. Good luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• He cries for the ride to school and when he gets there and when we leave, then after about 10 mins he is fine. The teacher says he is an angel, well behaved and very smart and kind. That he is one of the best students there. I believe he does it for show to see how far he can push his boundaries but I just dontget it. He never gives us a hard time. He comes home saying he loves school
    NicksAshALee

Answer by NicksAshALee at 10:17 AM on May. 14, 2009

• He's 3, plain and simple. Terrible 2's??? Pffft, they were angelic compared to 3's. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't apologize or anything. He is pushing his boundaries. It will stop eventually
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on May. 14, 2009

• This behavior is very typical for a 3 year old. They quickly forget how much they enjoy school when they get back into the comfortable feeling of home. My son did this when he was at preschool. I just had to remind myself of what he was going to be like when I picked him up in the afternoons. It's so hard to leave your little one when he's not just crying hysterically but he's crying for YOU. My son was very shy and had serious SA issues when he was 3 & 4. When he started Kindergarten at 5 he loved it. After the first couple of days he was ready to run off into the school all by himself. They outgrow it. You just have to be patient and give it time.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:04 AM on May. 14, 2009