MOms with colicy and/or fussy babies

Do you ever feel like a terrible mom when you do everything you can think of to comfort your colicy baby and nothing works? I love my 4 month old daughter to pieces and hate to see her so upset. I try everything and sometimes the poor thing just wont stop. It gets so frustrating and tiring....I am hanging in there but it just feels like I cant enjoy her as much as I did with my first. I feel like a horrible mommy. Am I alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my colicy baby is 13 years old now...but I still remember the nightmare! it will get better- I promise you!!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• No, you are not alone. but as a mom with colic experience here are a few tips, get the carseat and put the washing machine on spin. buckle her in and set her on top. it works. also put your child face down on your lap supporting her head in your hands while sitting in a chair. bounce your legs up and down and put one leg right on her belly. and bounce steadily. that is the best thing that worked for both of my kids. i held their head in my left hand and put them across my left knee with their belly laying on the top of my knee. i bounced my right knee like crazy and after i start that they stop crying because it gives them relief. anything with vibrations colicy baby loves. or a really fast moving swing. along with mylicon drops. I always mixed the mylicon in their formula and that usually calmed them down. I only gave them the drops as it was directed on the bottle. I didn't put it in every bottle. hope she feels better soon.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:29 AM on May. 14, 2009

• mine was colicy until about 16 weeks and at 26 weeks now he is still a fussy baby. it was really hard at first with him being my first baby, i sometimes regretted having a baby at all. i love him more than anything though and you just have to remeber they do grow out of it. i tried pretty much everything they say but the only thing that would calm him down was when he was tightly swaddled. i think the first 12 weeks he was swaddled almost all the time!! otherwise he woul;d just cry and cry !! good luck, it will get better!
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 10:47 AM on May. 14, 2009

• my daughter was colicy for a while and i tried everything nothing worked then i found this stuff called organic gripe water its nothing but chamomile and fennel .....it works wonders!!!! u can get it at walgreens
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Try reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp M.D. It has some good tips on how to calm your baby and get the baby to sleep better. There is also a DVD version.
    JasminesMom314

Answer by JasminesMom314 at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• No, you are not alone. Did you know that moms with colicy babies are more likely to develop PPD than moms of peaceful babies?
    You are truly in a living hell - one I remember all too clearly from my daughter's infancy. Try to concentrate on everything you CAN do for her and try to minimize what you can't. Also take heart, the colic aspect should be fading. She may still be a very fussy baby but the horrible, horrible colic should be ending soon.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Thanks for all your support. I have literally tried everything. She does love the vacuum cleaner and it will work for about 15 minutes until she starts to cry again. She is getting alot better I just still feel so hopeless.....thanks again.
    Anonymous

• Just remember - it will pass! My son, who had other tummy-related issues, did better when we were able to control his reflux a bit better and switched him to Nutramigen. Definately read or get the DVD for "The Happiest Baby on the Block." "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" explains so much about colicky/post-colic babies and their sleep patterns. Just remember, it'll pass! You ARE a good mom and your baby loves you!! Message me if you need to vent or chat!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 12:19 PM on May. 14, 2009

• my first was like that. i finally ended up with her on nutramagon formula and that helped her a lil bit. it was a rough time but we got thru it. i had her weaned off of the formula at 9 months and shes been fine ever since.
    lexirose84

Answer by lexirose84 at 1:00 PM on May. 14, 2009