Eye Muscle Surgery

Anyone's child have to have it? I have a 10 month old that as of right now will be having it done when she is 16 months.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 10:27 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never had it done, but I know lots of kids who've had it done. The main problem that i've seen is nausea after the surgery, it really messes with the equilibrium. But as far as surgeries go, it's a fairly easy one. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Why are they doing it so young? Does she have a lazy eye?
    I'm asking because my son was born with Congenital Gloucoma and he had laser eye surgery for that to relieve the pressure of his eye. He has a lazy eye as a result of the Gloucoma. But, our opthamologist told us he wouldn't do the surgery to straighten out his eye muscle till the eyes stop growing. Which is around 9 or 10 years old. He is 9 now, will be seeing the doctor in June and will be going in for eye muscle surgery then.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I have never experienced it first hand but I work I surgery ans know its very common. They give them Plenty of numbing meds sp they are comfy. Good luck and I hope she does ok. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Mamaada its usually called strabismus which is diff from lazy eye.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2009

• She has a Strabismus in her right eye and is causing her left eye to work hard and she tilits her head to the left to try to get things to look straight. since her right eye barely move's what so ever.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 10:42 AM on May. 14, 2009

• calliesmommie...your right, lazy eye is another name for Ambyopia. My son has Amblyopia and Strabismus!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:43 AM on May. 14, 2009

• dewy, did the doctor recommend eye patching therapy? To make the weak eye stronger? My son had to do this...and from expierience it's best to do it when they are young. Does she wear glasses? My son had his glasses since he was 6 months old.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:46 AM on May. 14, 2009