Anyone's baby had a diaper rash like this?

My daughter has a weird rash in her diaper area. They are bumps that are mainly in the area where the leg gussets on her diapers are. I noticed last night after her bath that they're also on her butt. They're not in the vaginal area at all. She doesn't scratch them. They showed up Monday night and then were worse and more red Tuesday. Last night, I gave her a bath & noticed they were also on her butt. She's not totally covered over or anything. I haven't been using new diapers. She did eat strawberries for the first time Sunday.....But she's eaten strawberry banana baby food before with no reaction. She is teething and has had looser stools, but that started before she got the rash and before she ate strawberries. I called the pediatrician, and they didn't see a need to bring her in. They prescribed an antifungal cream. Any insight?

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 10:29 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like a yeast infection. My youngest got one really bad. I was just using regular rash lotion and it just kept getting worse until it was all broken open and bleeding. The doctor also prescribed anti-fungal cream which worked. We found putting a layer of Vaseline over the cream helped keep it in place longer. Her rash cleared up in a few days after that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:01 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Sounds like yeastie beasties, just try the antifunal cream and if that doesn't work, then take her into the peds. My daughter would get that with teething as well.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:32 AM on May. 14, 2009

• it's not the food allergy from the strawberries, if it were the rash would be on arms, face, chest. not just her butt. the anti fungal cream sounds accurate. also if you have baking soda, use about a tsp of that and some water and make a paste out of it. put that on her rash for a couple of days and it should go away. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• My kid had a weird rash once. It wasn't like this but the anti-fungal cream worked well.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Could be yeast rash. those tend to be well define red dots. IF it is, the cream should work fairly quickly. You'll see noticible difference in a day. If hse's has some diahrrea, that can irrerate the skin too. I use aquaphor on my duaghters butt at each change to help protect it. works well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Sounds like a yeast infection rash. They will give you anitifungal creams like canestin or monistats...or others similar....I used over the counter creams and cut them half and half with whatever diaper cream I was using.
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2009