How do you feel about this statement?

Any government cannot give anything to anybody, without first taking it away from someone else.
Why are there so many in society that feel this is ok, and why are there so many in society who don't realize THIS is how a government works?

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 10:30 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that people should work for what they have, have what they work for, and give as generously as they can to the charity of THEIR CHOICE.

The government should have no say whatsoever. It feels a little like buying votes, IMO, there are a LOT more poor people than there are rich, so let's keep giving the poor more so they will keep giving us power.

I have no problem with charity, however, handouts do not teach self sufficiency, independence, or character. They teach people to be like the people on Wall-e. Fat, Lazy, incapable of even chewing or standing on our own two feet. Eventually, if you keep taking from one group, there will be nothing left for anyone.

I'm a conservative (obviously). If one of my neighbors was having a hard time, we'd help them, and have. We donate, we volunteer, and if these financial trends keep up, we won't be able to.

In attempting to "fix" the country, we are ultimately destroying it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think it's true. However, I think the government is taking way too much, and not giving nearly enough. Where does it go? In their pockets, that's where it goes!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Any government cannot give anything to anybody, without first taking it away from someone else. TRUE.

IMO, because they are too busy crying for entitlement and government to save them that they don't know how to save themselves.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Because they're the people without, and they do not realize how much hard it is to get the things another person desires to take without earning it themselves.

My husband and I have worked hard to acquire the things we have, but we KNOW we didn't work QUITE as hard or made as many sacrifices or took as many risks as those who have acquired/achieved even more than we have, which is why we do not desire to take it away from them.

Those who have never sacrificed anything, or taken risks, don't understand what it takes--they think the rich and successful are just handing such things, that they're just "more fortunate" than them.

JMHO! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on May. 14, 2009

• 20 years ago 1% of the US populaton took home 6% of US income. Today, 1% take home 22% of US income. That trend cannot continue.
    plainsmom71

Answer by plainsmom71 at 10:59 AM on May. 14, 2009

• so pulling together for the greater good is bad? working as a nation ,or community is less than all about self?

Government is not the enemy, rich greedy people who control the government are. Wall Street wasn't run by the gov't and are helping to destrot our country because of their greed and irresponsibility..and the banks as well.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:00 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Is that Jefferson?
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• So, then Swee-a-kins, people shouldn't work hard to do better for themselves and their family. We should live in one large commune and share our wealth equally? No matter how hard some work compard to others?

There should be a middle ground. There is a growing population that expects and feels entitled to have "things" given to them. Why? Is that the new American Dream? By your ideals does "entitlement" appear to be the new American Dream?
    Barney Frank embraced the greed of Fannie and Freddie and corrupted it in the name of helping and working as a nation.
    GE has taken hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars in government bailout money and they are greedy and corrupt. Have they been asked to sell off assets like GM, Chrysler, Merrill Lynch? You can't be selective in the greed, can you? Why does it appear to be selective, then?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:26 AM on May. 14, 2009

• So, then Swee-a-kins, people shouldn't work hard to do better for themselves and their family. We should live in one large commune and share our wealth equally? No matter how hard some work compard to others? There should be a middle ground.

I work hard and try and do best for my family. The more i make the more we benefit. why would that change? ...what we have now IS a middle ground. Does is need work, heck yea. Welfare is a failed program and needs to be scrapped and something more effective put in place. A job for the able should be requied and help given for school...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2009

• By your ideals does "entitlement" appear to be the new American Dream? In no way did I say that... Barney Frank embraced the greed of Fannie and GE has taken hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars in government bailout money and they are greedy and corrupt. Have they been asked to sell off assets like GM, Chrysler, Merrill Lynch? You can't be selective in the greed, can you? Why does it appear to be selective, then? I am not selective, MOST big bussiness in the private sector falls in that greedy catergory, look at the discrepiancy in whaht CEO's make compared to 20 years ago and as ratio'd to their workers, its CRAZY! Thats why its hard for me to swallow the azz kissing the orivate sector gets from any politicians..there needs to be restrictions or sanctions

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:34 AM on May. 14, 2009