• In the Spotlight:

Any ideas on how to discourage your ALMOST 18 yr old from a tattoo?

My friend has a daughter who turns 18 in a couple of weeks, just graduating high school this month. The DD wants to get a tattoo (tiny & on her foot) however Mom doesn't want her to go out and do this, just because she's 18 and she CAN! She would like her to be more mature to make such decisions, however realizes that she can't stop her. Ideas on discouraging her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would tell my daughter in this view.....
    The hair do that was cool two years ago is now ugly and nerdy.... The clothing fashion six years ago is lame.... One time Dukes of Hazard was cool and everyone liked it, today hardly anyone things its cool. Tattoos are no different, when you get a tattoo it might be something you think is cool today, but in 4 years from now you might not think its cool anymore and wish you had gotten something else. Downfall to tattoos is they are not as easy to switch, change, and upgrade, therefore temp tattoos are better.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 12:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't, our son wants to get one when he turns 18 and I'm all for it. I feel the more you try to turn them away from it the more they will want it. Our son is almost 13 and I'm thinking by the time he's 18 it's not really my place to tell him no, (of course as long as he's paying for it).
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Why discourage her? Its not like she wants something huge or offensive. Tattoos are forever but some people chose to decorate there body this way. I say let her go for it.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:44 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I wish I could tell you. I got my tattoo on the day I moved out, just because I could, and now I hate it. It looks like a prison tattoo! Maybe instead of outright discouraging her this person should do like my parents did with my brother: they simply reminded him that he would have whatever ink he got for his entire life unless he wanted to pay a fourtune to remove it, so whatever tatoo he got had better be deep and meaningful. He has like four now, but at least he puts months and months of thought into getting them and what he wants them to be, instead of doing what I did and what it sounds like this girl is about to do and just randomly put something dumb on the body.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:44 AM on May. 14, 2009

• You can't discourage an 18-year-old from doing anything they don't want to. I would suggest a non-parental adult, preferable someone with tattoos, have a conversation with her. She needs to understand that getting a tattoo is fine but she needs to put more thought into one than just picking flash off the wall. It's going to be permanent and if it doesn't mean something to her she WILL end up regretting up. Not to mention...getting a tiny flower or other goofy tattoo on a high wear area like a foot is going to look like pooh down the road.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:45 AM on May. 14, 2009

• This is not something Mom is going to be able to stop her or even discouraging her from doing. The more she mentions her dislike of the idea the more her daughter is going to want to do it. If she pushes too far the idea might even get bigger and then she's done just the opposite of what she was wanting to do. I'm sorry that I don't have any ideas for discouraging her. I'd just be glad she is only wanting something small and in a place that can easily be concealed if she ever ends up regretting the decision. Tattoos are a personal statement. Let her make hers.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:45 AM on May. 14, 2009

• No, I got my tattoo when I was 16 years old on my leg (which that was a mistake I wish I had picked another place) and I got my second one on my shoulder blade when I was 22. one is a rose on water and one is a dolphin jumping out of the water. I am going to get a third one. I am getting my childrens faces as toddlers put on my back. with their names and b-dates underneath.
    there is no discouraging her. it is her decision...she is an adult. not a child. if she wants to get a tattoo then it is her decision, no one elses. if it turns out that it is a mistake then she will have to live and learn from it. that's it. I know from my friends experience, the foot is the worse place to get a tattoo. it hurts really bad. but in the end she thought it was worth it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:46 AM on May. 14, 2009

• the Bible
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I love tattoos so I cant really say much. Besides her body her choice and its a small one on her foot. It could be way worse.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 10:59 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I have a tat & I love them on others. I think rather than discouraging her it makes the most sense to encourage if she is going to (& she'll be eighteen & WILL do what she wants) that she should put careful consideration into what she wants to get. I would suggest that it be meaningful & symbolic for her; at her age she may not have anything major to comemorate & maybe she at least wait until something speaks to her.

~I have nothing against purely decorative tats, just a suggestion if she seems to be rushing into it.~

Also, suggest that she research good parlors near her so at least it's a good quality tat & a reputable shop.

GL

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:15 AM on May. 14, 2009