Do you think there is a correlation between political views, college majors, and success?

Recently, there was a question about "what was your college major". I noticed that many of the moms who had concrete, marketable majors were more conservatives here on CM. Also, those moms typically had better jobs and a more stable living situation.

Do you feel there is a correlation? Does this prove the "art student, turned struggling artist, liberal who uses medical marijuana" stereotype?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:43 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Great thought provoking question. I think there is more correlation to how hard people worked and the route they took to get where they are in their adult life.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:55 AM on May. 14, 2009

• i think that my liberal software engineer mother and retired military officer father would disagree. Also all those "liberal hippy" professors with a PHDs. In fact, I have seen studies that prove otherwise.
    It has less to do with education and more to do with location and religious affiliation.

I will however hang out with a struggling pot smoking artist before a coke addicted CEO, any day.

http://ijpor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/141
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 10:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

• This is probably going to become a heated thread, but I agree! Now, of course, there are those who decided after graduating that they had more of an interest/aptitude in a subject other than what they went originally went to school for--but that's rare.

I have yet to meet a conservative Art History, Liberal Arts, American Studies, Women's Studies, Communication/Journalism, or Sociology graduate (or something along those lines)--whether or not they pursued a career in their field of study.

I think undergraduate degrees that require additional years in academia (excluding law or medical fields) result in advanced liberalism. Undergraduate degrees that actually net a decent paying career (Nursing, Teaching, Allied Health (PT/OT/Pharmacology), etc.) and unlimited growth potential right out of the starting gate, tend to attract, dare I say it capitalist types, interested in acquiring the (once) all mighty dollar?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:00 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think undergraduate degrees that require additional years in academia (excluding law or medical fields) result in advanced liberalism.

I can't tell you how many debates I have had with numerous liberal professors in my current studies. And.. Actually~ they don't even debate. They state their liberal views and there is no other argument that is acceptable. EVEN when there is documented proof.  But, it makes me lean more to the "right" with every "debate"...  Can be fun at times. :P I document EVERYTHING. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:04 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think those are most likely related and influencing, but more so how the person is raised and what life circumstances they have prior to choosing a major. At 18 my momma basically said, move out, get a job and go to school. There was no turning back for any of her 4 girls, we all had to move out within 2 weeks of graduation.
    Had my parents allowed me to be a little lazy and live off of college loans, the government or them, I do not think I would own all that I own today. The job I have doesn't pay alot, but it was always consistent, present and provided benefits.
    If there were consistent thoughts in my head that I could come back home and live off of my parents for years, I would not have had to work and make it. I had to choose a field that allowed me to go to work right away at a salary I could live on without room mates.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:05 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Had my parents allowed me to be a little lazy and live off of college loans, the government or them, I do not think I would own all that I own today.

bow down

I agree and feel the same way!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree with that. I am college educated we have a six figure income and are Conservatives. We are not heartless and give 20 percent of our income to charity. Considering over 30 percent of our income goes to taxes we do more for our country than most Liberals do. We believe in small government and allowing citizens to make choices and live their lives. My family that are Liberals are uneducated, low income and most are lazy. Not the case for all but in my experience with people I am around. The more educated the more likely they are a Republican or Libertarian.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't think it has anything to do with education, my knee jerk reaction to this question would be that the right wing is less educated, but I know that is just a stereotype of bible thumping middle americans. I agree that it has more to do with location and religion, unfortunately. Just look at all the red in the middle, blue on the outside...there are plenty of very highly educated people on the coasts, and let's face it, most of the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• FWIW, we also have a 6 figure income and are liberals. My brother is a hugely successful scientist and one fo the smartest men I know and is a liberal, another brother is partner of his lawfirm and a liberal. His wife owns a successful boutique in a large city, again, liberal. To say that liberals are uneducated and lazy is, well, quite ignorant, which would prove that it is the conservatives that are lacking in the education, no?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 14, 2009

• No, I don't to be honest with you. You have to also remember that "Cafemom" adds it's own elements into that equasion too. So it would have to be taking education+type of major+type of job+type of mom that would come onto Cafemom+type of mom that hangs out in answers and likes to share her opinions...that takes a lot into consideration and a lot more work would have to be done in order to find a correlational relationship.

I was raised to be a staunch republican. It was when I entered college that I started to become more liberal (as did my friends). I am still a republican but less conservative. I am more concerned over what makes sense rather than my party line which IS due to my college education. I know just as many liberals and democrats that are educated as I do republicans who are.

I think that parental influence + college majors can correlate to success.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:28 AM on May. 14, 2009