How much time do you give your kids to eat?

30 minutes? 15 minutes? I have a 15 month old & 27 month old. Mine will sit there for 30 minutes and play with the food. I'm thinking about getting an egg timer. when the timer goes off diner is finished. And the remove them from the table. My ped said to cut the time down to 15 minutes. Whatever they don't eat in that 15 minutes gets taken away. What works for you?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:45 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think you should just wait and let them finish. no sense in letting a child go hungry because you are impatient. my three year old and 18 month old usually take anywhere from 20-35 minutes to eat. I don't give them a time limit. i let them tell me when they are done. you have to be the one to tell them, stop playing with your food and eat. but don't yell or they won't eat. would you want someone coming by while in the middle of your meal and say oh your time is up, you can't eat anymore..hungry or not. that is not right.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:51 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I agree 2wndrfl butrflys. I let my 16 month old take as long as she needs too. I can tell when shes done, because she starts throwing the left over food on the floor. It usually takes her about as long as it takes everyone else. Were pretty slow eaters.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:54 AM on May. 14, 2009

• when mine is hungry he will eat, if not he will shake his head no or start throwing it to our dogs lol and he tries to pull on his tray to get out, u will know if they are really hungry enough to eat or are just messing around. if im worried hes not eating enough i will try and atleast get him to drink his milk
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 12:37 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I don't worry about time, I let my son eat at his own pace. Most Americans eat too fast! You should set good habit of not scarfing down food so fast. Just recognize the signs between playing due to boredom, or to being full. If bored, make it fun. Turn it into a counting bites game or something that'll keep attention. Usually adults have dinner conversations while eating, so I try to have kid conversations with my son. Ask about school, friends, what he wants to do today, etc. Sometimes, we play guessing games while he eats. You should make these times quality family times, instead of cramming food at your baby just to fill a belly. We have a nice family dinner conversation and include my son - always have!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2009

• I let my kids eat at their own pace. And since their dad doesn't go to work until 2pm we get to eat breakfast, and lunch as a family. It's just me and the kids for dinner. So no one is ever in a rush.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:54 AM on May. 15, 2009