Can I ask a question of the pagans without sounding stupid?

I see many of you saying you are eclectic pagan. What exactly is that? And, is it different from other pagans, or do you all pretty much believe the same thing? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your answers, girls.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pagan is a messy word, because the definition depends on who says it. To some it means anyone who isn't Jewish, Muslim or Christian. For others it's people who follow European naturalist religions. And there are dozens of variations in between. Typically an eclectic is someone who is not bound to a single religion or pantheon, as opposed to a reconstructionist who is a more literal follower of a single ancient religion. It's kind of like reform vs fundy. Eclectics are the reformers, reconstructionists are the fundies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Very interesting, thank you NotPanicking. Makes sense. And, now,I'm sure you've said before, but which type of pagan are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Eclectics take their beliefs from various paths rather than just one path in particular.

Im eclectic and I borrow mainly from Wicca but not 100%.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:06 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Thanks so much for your response Amaranth361. I'm starting to see the difference now. So, is Wicca also a branch of paganism, or is it something totally different?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It means we are non-denom Pagans. We don't stick to any one branch and we rarely believe the same as other ecclectic pagans. But at the core most of the beliefs are basicly the same!

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on May. 14, 2009

• And yes, wicca is one branch of Paganism.

I just started a group that may help you a bit. It's new but it's all about ending religious ignorance... http://www.cafemom.com/group/EndReligiousHate

It's just a place were we can all learn about eachothers beliefs without haveing to be afraid of hate or bashing. You would be more than welcome to join us!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Yes Wicca falls under Paganism. Wicca has a more hierarchy system than Pagan. Wicca has degrees that an initiate must study and achieve as a part of their structured learning system.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:24 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Well, if you are part of a coven there is a heirarchy in Wicca. If you are solitary, like me(although I do some work with DH), there really isnt.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:27 AM on May. 14, 2009

• You are right Amaranth, I didn't think about solitaries. My Bad.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:28 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I'm Eclectic Pagan...and I sometimes call myself a "Smorgasbord Pagan".  I take a little bit here and there from different paths, and skip the stuff I don't care for. 

And that's what works for me!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2009