Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 month old likes to yell for fun...a little help?

We have an 11 month old daughter who in generally a very, very well-behaved little girl. She is EXTREMELY pleasant about 90% of the time...but the other 10% she is pretty much constantly yelling at the top of her lungs at us or at ANYTHING around her. I know that she is just a very social and vocal little girl and I am very proud of that, but I need to know how to get her to lower her voice a little bit. We live in a house and our next door neighbors have complained...what would you do?
(We don't use any sort of spanking, so those of you who use spanking as discipline need not answer)

Answer Question
 
discokittten

Asked by discokittten at 10:54 AM on May. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 4 (47 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I am having the same problem with my 10 month old DD! It's kinda embarrassing when we go out to dinner. AH! And never spanking. Someone said to try to talk calmly to her. It will give her an example of what quiet is. It works..sometimes. I guess it takes time. But I think all babies do this haha
    Keeely07

    Answer by Keeely07 at 10:58 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • Yea! Yesterday I spoke to her in JUST whispers and sometimes she would whisper back at me, but she mostly just screamed...I'm guessing she is just experimenting with her voice..but geez...it's gets to be a bit much for us sometimes!
    discokittten

    Answer by discokittten at 11:01 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • Not much you can do, but one thing that would work for some of my kids is when they are screaming I will put my fingers over thier lips, like when we say SHH with our fingers, then say SSHHinside voice quietly. Sometimes over and over. Like I said it only worked sometimes, but it might help.

    As to your neighbors.......POOH your little one is a baby...get over it!
    luckysevenwow

    Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:07 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • Play a little game, when she yells go to her and start to whisper to her tell her something funny, and then ask her if she likes your quiet voice. It will be fun to her and it teaches them the difference between yelling and Not yelling. I have a two year old who does the same thing. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. It usually takes more than one time for them to leaqrn. Good Luck
    Iluvmygirlies42

    Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:11 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • My son is doing the same thing. He thinks it's funny, and if there is another baby around that does it he'll like have a contest with them to see who can be the loudest. I usually make him look at me, put my finger over his mouth and whisper it's quiet time. I usually works unless of course there is another baby around.
    LiLmOmMiE08

    Answer by LiLmOmMiE08 at 11:35 AM on May. 14, 2009

  • So I guess the unfortunate conclusion is..this is completely normal haha I guess I'll just keep on trying to tell her to use a quiet voice and whisper when she screams..but I have to be honest...it gets SO damned annoying sometimes... thanks a lot ladies!
    discokittten

    Answer by discokittten at 11:56 AM on May. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.